PROCOMP sbc cylinder heads

The cam is XR282HR. Installed 7.400" (+.100) CC Magnum pushrods. Valve train geometry checked and valves adjusted 3/4 turn from zero latch (3/8" rocker arm bolts).

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

Arne

Last edited:
First priming using pure 10W-40 mineral oil, no extra zink.

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

All seems OK ....

IMG_1655.jpg

Arne

Last edited:
Hello Guys, I read a thread somewhere that indicated covering the pin with the locking plate would prevent it from falling out (if it ever got loose) and causing damage to the timing chain and gears. Why is there a hole for the pin in the locking plate anyway. My new Comp Cam timing gear set came with a plate with only the three bolt holes in it. I am building up a 383 with Procomp heads, thumper retro roller cam, timing gears, and magnum roller rockers.

I have never heard that the indexing pin has fallen off. My locking plate, which was not a part of the CC cam kit, has a hole for the pin. I did not realize the problem you discribe. I have installed the locking plate to retain the cam thrust button and and the three bolts. Nice to hear that you also are in progress with a 383 build. Which Thumper cam are you using? Do you have had any problems with your PROCOMPs or are they OK?

Arne

Last edited:
I am using an EDELBROCK 27164.

24012007064.jpg

This is a EPS Vortec with 8 bolts installation

24012007065.jpg

The runners had some very bad moulds and had to be port matched to fit the PROCOMPS.

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

Arne

Last edited:
I have installed the temp sender in the existing ½" NPT threaded hole, shown on the driver side of the manifold. In front I've prepared a 3/8" NPT passage for the radiator fan high temp switch. On the passenger side a new hole was drilled and threaded 3/8" NPT for the radiator fan low temp switch.

Picture058.jpg

Arne

Here the gasket cement is applied. The pics talk for them self.

36-193_l.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

I waited about 30 minutes to let the gasket cement dry. That takes about a half a liter Coke and a Spanish cigar. :lol:

Picture016.jpg

Arne

Ready for manifold to be installed

Picture023.jpg

The bolts are installed finger tight in sequence.

Picture024.jpg

Picture026.jpg

All bolts are in place. I'll wait 24 hours for the final torque.

Picture028.jpg

Arne

Cam and carb change outcome

arneoe-
I'm a new member following your 383 build. I have the same Procomp heads and was wondering how the engine runs with the new roller cam & 770 carb combo you selected.
Thanks

I have no started the engine yet. It has been sitting for quite some time now while I have been working with the suspension such as new rebuilt T/A's, diff and steering column. Steeroids, VBP front mono spring kit with modified control arms, TRW mono spring and Bilstein shocks will also be installed. My 35 year old C3 was not ready safely to take such an engine with so much power. I am planning to make the engine swap coming summer. I just now am trying to modify my engine set up with a serpentine belt system taken from a 1992 van. I am waiting for spring and warmer weather after a long and cold winter.

Arne
IMG_1912.jpg

Sure looks good, if it runs as good you will be happy.

As for serpentine setup, Why not buy a 3rd gen F body setup, a much cleaner setup and bolt on. Do note that most if not all GM serp. setups require a reverse rotation water pump

I am using the TBI system from a V6 and it looks OK and did not cost much. The water pump was shot (full of rust), but a replacement part was less than 50USD. I'll try an under drive wheel on the crank to gain space from the cross member.

Arne

DSC00972.jpg
IMG_1902.jpg
DSC00916.jpg
IMG_1912-1.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2157.jpg

Last edited:
Yer tape measures reed funny.....ain't NO way them thing 20" diameter or so.....

:waxer::clap:

Yer tape measures reed funny.....ain't NO way them thing 20" diameter or so.....

:waxer::clap:

That comment gave me a good laugh!! thanks a lot .... Well the metric system ain't easy for our very close friends on the other side of the big pond. As I can see from the Internet your U.S. Metric Association (USMA) was founded in 1916 .... LOL...

Arne

Think-Metric_mug.jpg

Last edited:
My son thinks and works in metric, this olde phardt still stuck in the old inches think......:hissyfit: but I am starting to know metric sizes at a glance, all the small shit I have sockets and wrenches for, the larger stuff I still use the old inch measure on, it seems to work fine, but not 15mm.....

what I hate most is Torx 50 billion sizes damn frustrating to deal with....

:drink:

Just in case you might have not noticed, the water pump impeller in post #93 is reverse rotation and the pulleys in post #91 are normal rotation.

Yes I have noticed the different rotations for serp and std system water pumps. I have not decided yet which system to go for first. I'm not in a hurry so I'll see what brings. Anyway, thanks for the information. :)

Arne