Suspension design books??

vette427sbc

I'm exploring my options on designing a suspension for my 69. I don't know anything about roll center, Ackerman, camber gains, etc... I could have someone tell me the proper geometry that I'm looking for, but I'd rather know what effect my design has on handling characteristics. Any good reads online or at barnes and nobel for in depth suspension design? I would like to say I designed my suspension myself :smash:
I just bought a shop with my father so I figure what better project to break in the new place with? I'm looking to transplant C5/6 suspension front and rear on my frame without flares and on stockish wheel offsets
BBshark- I saw your post on pro- touring about this swap. Any reason why you didn't do it?

"how to make your car handle" by fred puhn
....very simple text with all the infos you will need.... a bit "old-stile" but good for starting!

"competition car suspension" by allan staniforth
....more deep investigations on suspension technologies.... very "race oriented" but is a nice reading.

Last but not least.... a classic!
"chassis engineering" by herb adams
Old stile with some direct reference to C3 and C4.... for people that don't want radical changing but still need to have a better handling from an old Vette.

At least these are the books I have!

Just my 2 cents...

Vette427sbc:
Stroker427 has some great answers/choices.
Fo a quick overview - if you can find it - Herb Adams published a 63 page mini-book/brochure - aptly titled; "CORVETTE HANDLING - A Performance Handbook." It looks sort of "self published - no ISBN." 1983 is the date, soft cover. Well done though.

Chassis Engineering can be found 2nd hand for about 10 bucks + shipping.

If you are looking for the post-graduate level texts --- look for Milliken&Miliken's Race Car Vehicle Dynamics (900 pages) and the associated woorkbook (near 300 pages + CD).
Paul Van Valkenburgh did Race Car Engineering Mechanics - mid 70s.

Good luck - cheers - Jim

Last edited:
If you want to change your rear suspension, Stroker-427 gave us plans for the suspension he designed.

Pretty good deal and even tested since it came from his car sooooo I think he gave us a hell of a lot more that his 2 cents lol .

Thanks again Mr Lucaroni

....here we are having some fun in a big parking!

By the way my C3 was far the fastest in the small autocross...... even faster than all C6 Z06!

Nice idea the "Le Mans" starting..... but the risk was to drive away with the friend with the camera not "enoughly" seated ! :twitch:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX6JvEyT__Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX6JvEyT__Q[/ame]

Stroker, have you thought about some sprinter skill training? Seems you could slash at least a half second off! LOL! Looks like you guys have some bit of fun.

Hehehe.... for shure!

Anyway this was only for fun.... and remember.... when a cone counts 5 seconds of penality, is allways better to drive alf second slower !

Just got my copy of Tune To Win by Carroll Smith... Im only a few chapters in but this book is awesome in the way it describes vehicle dynamics to novices like myself. And it was only $16 on amazon!