Second thoughts on rear suspension

MYBAD79

I was going to get new side yokes and telescoping half shafts, then add upper strut rods. Now it seems that if I want the half shafts to slide I might as well keep my worn side yokes and allow the sliding motion that way...

If I replace the side yokes I might as well use new stock half shafts and leave the rear suspension stock, except rod ends on the strut rods and the dual mount fiberglass spring...

How long do the yokes last until they wear? 40000 miles ??? That would be about 20 years for me, that's why I'm thinking this whole upper strut rod thing might be of little or no value for me. Right now the camber is all over the place because of the worn yokes, the poly strut rod bushings are shot, likely because of the worn yokes....I'm thinking a solid stock suspension might be a huge improvement over what I have now.... :idea:

Last edited:
I left mine stockish, nothing major, single mount 360 lbs VBP plastic spring, lower strut rods, have changed the poly once, replaced the yokes with rebuilt units from Yogi Behr ? Bair? but that was in '95, maybe Gary is your best source today....I stuck with the U bolt style as it's only 275 street rubber, not some dragster....never been a issue....

:nuts:

I don't know about that. Using the half shafts as a control arm really limits what you can do with the suspension.

I don't know about that. Using the half shafts as a control arm really limits what you can do with the suspension.

Yeh, I hear you, but I don't autocross or Road Race.....or Drag race, I just drive HELL out of it on the streets.....then complain about lack of fuel economy....

:harhar::bonkers::yahoo:

Well first off if the yokes are worn down past the case hardening,if those were even hardened, then they will wear fast up against the 60 RC cross shaft. Replace them now, so you don't have the concern of the yokes hitting the diff housing and grinding into it.
If you're not drag racing, have a lot of power and abuse your car then you only need the plain Jane stock U-bolt yokes. Get the Lone Star rebuilt yokes with the hardened tip and fit them them to a tuned posi if you get into the diff.
Use rubber strut bushings,stock 1/2 shaft with solid spicers,get an alignment and drive the car.

Can't argue with Gary's experience but telescoping strut rods and shiny upper rods are cool.... lol ...
i already have adjustable strut rods and rod ends, also the modified lower bracket so i'll use what i already bought or built.... however, i am beginning to think the upper strut rods are overkill for what i'm doing with this car... :hissyfit:

looks like its going to be stock style 3" half shafts with solid Spicers and hardened tip yokes... one huge advantage is the downtime will be short..