Oil coolers, a custom solution

Why take a chance on a used oil cooler? IMO, that's the dumbest thing you can do.

Why take a chance on a used oil cooler? IMO, that's the dumbest thing you can do.

I thought putting head gasket sealer in the oil is the dumbest.:D

These coolers pump after the filter, and the fittings face down to drain. I wouldn't hesitate to use one. You could easily soak them, and run a speedo cable thru it to check it out.

I just want to get the adapter

Yes, 6.2 and 6.5 TD's have them too. The issue will be the fittings in and out of the cooler. you'll have to adapt them to AN.

An easy alternative would be to use the OEM L98 sandwich style cooler... Looks kinda like an adapter but you just plumb a coolant supply and return line.

:bounce:

Maybe not the absolute dumbest, though It ranks right up there. :D

Put a probe in sump and decide if you NEED one... "Information is power"

If you do then you can measure the effectiveness.

:beer:

For those who want a probe in the sump, autometer has weld in bungs for mechanical (bulb style) hookup. The nice thing about them is, if you don't want a permanent gauge in there you can plug them off.

What size are those lines? Is it thermostatically controlled and does it route all or some of the oil through the cooler?

What size are those lines? Is it thermostatically controlled and does it route all or some of the oil through the cooler?

My caliper says .34 ID, .50 OD. As for the rest, I do not recall. I'll take it off this week and look. I doubt it has a stat, but could be wrong.

I have one of those...somewhere....there is also the Corvette cooler that uses block coolant to cool the oil.....
redvetracr

My caliper says .34 ID, .50 OD. As for the rest, I do not recall. I'll take it off this week and look. I doubt it has a stat, but could be wrong.

It routes full oil flow, has no stat, but has a bypass valve in addition to the filer bypass, in case the cooler is restricted.

just a bit of info

Im running this trans cooler
prm-12318.jpg
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=PRM-12318&N=700+400006+115&autoview=sku

Perma-Cool 12318 $195.95

and a custom high capacity baffled oil pan on the engine

the combo of the large oil pan capacity and the lower radiator heat due to the trans fluid not getting very hot makes the engine generally have a hard time getting the oil temp over about 220F even without an oil cooler other than the factory designed one on my 1985 383. so much so that I recently ordered a second trans cooler for my 1996 vette, and yeah! before you ask, I removed the spare tire and fabricated a mount for it there in the rear and wired the trans fan to run off a switch, keep in mind the engine oil should reach 215F minimum at least a few times durring opperation or you won,t burn off moisture and the trans fluid,should be ideally kept under 190F, adding the aux trans cooler removes a good source of heat going into the coolant in the radiator

Last edited:
I have one of those...somewhere....there is also the Corvette cooler that uses block coolant to cool the oil.....
redvetracr

Yup, you're right. Have one on my camaro, coolant goes through a stacked plate heat exchager on the inside. Only downside, if the thing ruptures you get milkshake for engine oil pumped straight into the main oil gallery.

My oil cooler is mounted flat in the middle panel behind my bumper. The spoiler forces air up thru it. Works great. My tranny cooler is my AC condenser in it's stock location. Works great too.
splitter6.jpg
Corvette043.jpg
Bee Jay