82 Rear Spindle Question

Criste

During disassembly of the rear spindles on my 82, I noted it had a washer between the spindle flange and inner bearing. On the drivers side this washer was deformed due to end play. I am not able to find any reference to this part in any of my manuals. Anyone know the correct name so I can order a replacement?

Thanks, Jerry

The folks at Muskegon Brakes were able to help. Seems the cars come with these washers, but they are often discarded. No explanation for why it does not appear in any diagrams. They did have one, so I am all set.

It all depended on the bearing housing. Some of the bearing housing are machined a little deeper and when you set the end play up on your bearings you can compensate for this with what shim you use. However you can't compensate when the flange is bottomed out, this is when they would have used the shim. The flange has to be torqued against the bearing or else the weight of the car will loosen up the rear bearings that are pressed onto the spindle. So to answer your question, not every car and actually very few used these. When they are required though you have no choice or else you could have a catastrophic failure.
Justin

Hello again, been busy and haven't visited the forum in awhile...

Justin, Thanks for the explanation. I did not include these washers when the spindles were rebuilt. However, it hasn't moved yet, so no damage so far. It's my understanding that it's difficult to check end play once the bearings have been greased, so I'm not sure how to verify that the washer is needed.

Gary, Yes, they are approximately 030 thick.

Do you gentlemen think the washers should be installed?

Thanks, Jerry