Weight loss for C3's

aluminum master cylinder - minus 5 pounds
brake system (includes titanium rotors, aluminum calipers) - minus about 100 pounds (these are not on the car yet but will be soon)

Could you state where you got your titanium rotors and I assume aluminum hubs? Is the aluminum master cylinder from SSBC?

Also, what about getting rid of that large iron casting that connects the steering column to the bottom of the windshield frame. It's really gross. Also it's high above the center of gravity of the car to make it worse.

Seems like someone could fabricate some aluminum plates and weld/bolt them together to make a functional replacement.

Later sharks have a sheetmetal version of that casting....I have not changed mine out yet....but someday....probable savings over 5 lbs right there .....

:stirpot:

The stamped steel one is pretty heavy too but the iron one really is a pig.

The stamped one, you could drill some holes in it. I really wonder why they made it that thick, it's more than double the thickness of the steel in the birdcage where it bolts to.

I want to do a race car column and get rid of everything

Or keep the stop column and make a lighter mount

I want to do a dash like this

IMG_2694.jpg

Last edited:
that almost looks like a factory tilt column with the quick release spline on top, see the little tilt knob?...want to lose weight with your column?? use ONLY the center of the column, suspended at the top with an oversize heim joint, you can make it collapsible by drilling where the two pieces fit inside each other and using a very small bolt.
redvetracr

Yeah that is a stock column

I meant to say stock instead of stop

I think it's a 68 column

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet

I still need to make the cage first

I'll try to make the front cross bar the right height so I can use it for a steering column mount

Last edited:
brake system (includes titanium rotors, aluminum calipers) - minus about 100 pounds (these are not on the car yet but will be soon)

Could you state where you got your titanium rotors and I assume aluminum hubs? Is the aluminum master cylinder from SSBC?

Also, what about getting rid of that large iron casting that connects the steering column to the bottom of the windshield frame. It's really gross. Also it's high above the center of gravity of the car to make it worse.

Seems like someone could fabricate some aluminum plates and weld/bolt them together to make a functional replacement.

The titanium rotors are from Red Devil Brakes and they are one piece, ceramic coated, not aluminum at all.

aluminum HUBS, I presume, same thing Norval did his own .....

but curious about ceramic coating on the rotors.....don't the heating make it come off....something I never heard of....

there was a shot of a Aston racing a C6? vette on a course and the pass front rotor was burning a orange/red GLOW from hell.....I looked at THAT wondering WTF is going on....

except it's one tough rotor....

so if it was ceramic, what in hell makes it stick to the iron so good under that kind of abuse???

jeebus....

:huh::gurney:

The titanium rotors are from Red Devil Brakes and they are one piece, ceramic coated, not aluminum at all.

I believe for the money Carbon rotors perform better.....

Last edited:

I believe for the money Carbon fiber rotors perform better.....

I've never heard of carbon fiber rotors. Could you possibly be bullshitting?

Porsche has been using carbon rotors for years (not carbon fiber). It's actually a carbon ceramic composite.

Porsche has been using carbon rotors for years (not carbon fiber). It's actually a carbon ceramic composite.

interesting shit, bet they bring a HUGE buck.....

that's cool gotta save 50 lbs /wheel with aluminum calipers....

and aluminum hub.....

:clobbered:

A set for the c6r is 10k so I imagine something smaller and less durable could be had for a good bit cheaper

here's my lightweight titanium self tapping screws, :eek: dont know if they are lighter than the bone they removed,,,, but I can limp faster.....must be lighter..

02-14-2008084304AM-1.jpg