Bent Spindle??

SIXFOOTER

I found a problem today on my car. I have been working ona full body off restomod on my 81 after bouncing it off a palm tree, it toook the left front fender, front bumper and bent the lower control arm shaft. I redid all the suapension, straightned the shaft and have everything all back together. Then I noticed the left front wheel binds in the caliper, figured it was just pads and blew it off until I am about ready to be able to drive it out of the garage. Took the left front wheel off and pulled the pads out of the caliper and found that the outter half of the caliper drags on the outside of the rotor. It looks like the Vertical part of the spindle is bent in a bit above the spindle, but the spindle itself is straight.
Think I can just put it in the press she straighten it back out? Is there a place on the thing to use for a registration mark to know when I have it straight?

You mean the outside of the caliper (bottom of casting) rubs on the rotor hat?

The tightest part here?
o71xme.jpg

Are you sure the bracket isn't bent and is installed correctly?The spindle would have to be significantly distorted to cause that kind of issue.

Yes, the lower inner part of the outter half is contacting the outside of the rotor itself. The right side is fine and there looks to be about 1/4" clearence between the end of the casting and the rotor. Looking at the thing it doesn't look like it would take much of a bend to get the thing out of shape and there is no reason to think the bracket is bent. The caliper didn't take the shot, the wheel did. Also, there is a little gap between the dust shield and the spindle.

The upper part of the spindle upright would have to be bent to the point where it should be visible if you compare the 2. How does the bracket bolt down? Does it sit flush with the steering arm and the upper boss on the spindle upright?

I would just replace the spindle. Do not try to bend it, you have no way of checking if there's a crack and it could be a deadly mistake.

OK, I took both sides apart and took a couple measurements. Is this valid? I got exactly 1 5/8" on both sides. The part I thought was bent is the curve on the upper part. But this looks like it is the same on both sides.
Drivers side 1 5/8" exactly
Driversside.jpg

Pass side, again 1 5/8" exactly
Passengerside.jpg

The Caliper brackets are idintical, I clamped them together back to back ans there might be a bit of variance, but it looks like they are very close.

Danny,
Switch side with the rotors. Another guy had the same problem. He had a rear on the front. They are not the same.

OK, I took both sides apart and took a couple measurements. Is this valid? I got exactly 1 5/8" on both sides. The part I thought was bent is the curve on the upper part. But this looks like it is the same on both sides.

I measured two spindles and came up with 1 5/8 also.

Danny,
Switch side with the rotors. Another guy had the same problem. He had a rear on the front. They are not the same.

I'll try that later Bird. I know I have the right rotor on there, same on both sides. The rear ones are deeper. I ended up shimming the caliper off the bracket with 1/8" washers. I know its bubba but I needed to get it back together:pprrtt: It will have to do until its almost driveable.

I'll try that later Bird. I know I have the right rotor on there, same on both sides. The rear ones are deeper. I ended up shimming the caliper off the bracket with 1/8" washers. I know its bubba but I needed to get it back together:pprrtt: It will have to do until its almost driveable.

Danny, not sure how to interpret wht you typed above......the front rotors have about 1/4 inch of steel where the studs pass through between the wheel and the hub.....the rears about 1/8? thinner.....maybe less....

thicker steel hub faces in front....thinner in rear.....

don't ask.....:mad::bonkers::ghost: