High Octane Fuel

68/70Vette

To avoid ethanol in my fuel, I've decided to buy some racing gasoline. I've a new gas tank, all new fuel lines, carb, etc in my 68 and I don't drive it much. All the pump gas here has 5% ethanol and I'm concerned it'll cause corrosion. I've decided to just pay the premium and fill the tank up with 100% pure gasoline, which will be also high octane. A fuel that is ethanol free is VPRacing C12 leaded fuel (108 octane). I also see a racing fuel distributor sells Sunoco 100 octane, and I've sent an email off to inquire if its ethanol free.

Some of the racing fuels contain ethanol/methanol. They don't specifically state that, but if they say the fuel contains an oxydizer - that means it's got alcohol in it.

I think the going price for racing gas here is something like $10 a gallon. A tank full will be $200!!! Since I don't drive the car much, it really shouldn't be a financial burden. BTW. Gasoline of up to 140 octane is available.

If you hit vpracings website, they have distributors in Europe also.

I buy VP110 in a 55 gal drum. and yes it is expensive. I go up to the co-op and they do sell Alcohol free fuel there.

I buy VP110 in a 55 gal drum. and yes it is expensive. I go up to the co-op and they do sell Alcohol free fuel there.

If things work out OK, I may want to go to the 55 gal drum also, I assume it's a little cheaper per gallon. How do you pump it out. A hand operated pump and hose?

So far I pore it out of a 5 gallon pail, using a funnel, to get it in the tank. Makes me nervous.

So you are going spend 200 per tank to avoid corrosion?

I spent a lot of money with my retromod and I'd like to keep it looking new. What I really want to avoid is having a car, that's not being driven much, from being unreliable to drive when I do take it out. The Holley carb, new, is basically pot metal and highly susceptible to corrosion. Getting loose flakes of corrosion products in the jets means an engine that runs rough, if at all. I have a new Quanta fuel tank and I want to keep it looking pristine inside. $200 bucks for alcohol free fuel, $80 for 5% alcohol based gas, it's not that much difference for an infrequently driven car. Also, I don't want the government to force me to buy things I don't want, especially when I think the mandate of 5% alcohol does not really make sense. I'll pay the extra to be independent.

If things work out OK, I may want to go to the 55 gal drum also, I assume it's a little cheaper per gallon. How do you pump it out. A hand operated pump and hose?

So far I pore it out of a 5 gallon pail, using a funnel, to get it in the tank. Makes me nervous.

I use a plastic hand/siphon pump to get it out of the drum. it flows pretty quick.

During the Sha/Iran crunch '79 we had a 50 gallon capacity on a 3/4 ton chebby van I had a tank welded up, valve installed....

I used it for fuel storage 3 trips to the pumps all during that 'crisis'.....

pumped it into a 33+ mpg commuter car with a little fuel pump with a transistor on top, it's the same one in my 40 year old motor home....

:gurney::drink: