Cooling the front discs.

OZgreen69

Looking for a way to provide some fresh air to the front discs with the calipers in front of the spindles is not really easy.
So after some time trying to route the ducting hose with not a proper fitment, I decided to relocate the calipers at the rear of the spindles.
Way more room to do what you want !! :)
thum_39345b87bbea5ba91.jpgthum_39345b87bbea732bc.jpgthum_39345b87bbea8a405.jpg

Are those calipers purchased with the two pin holes, or did you drill them yourself? Where are you buying pads? Duntov does that, but I know you mentioned importing parts is a pain.

very clean...you might do a search for the Guldstrand endurance kit, it spreads the caliper allowing thicker (endurance type) brake pads, something anyone with a milling machine could make, you can run a two piece hub/rotor also

All right , first thanks for the nice words all of you. Much appreciated.

rtj, I drilled the calipers, wanting to have my own J56. But with the bridge, it defeated the use of the bent pads. So.. not used.
For the pads, I am using an Australian brand made in Japan ! CIRCO , come in different compound . I am using a "softer " one a the rear , a set who is more efficient at lower temperature than the front.

BBshark, the two top screws are for a bracket who hold the cowling onto the top bolt of the spindle ( Holding the caliper bracket as well )

redvet, thanks for the tip, I know this one and it will be a evolution of the front brakes. I try to go slow with the mods as the Camaro guys are on the watch out for me :pprrtt:
And about the rotors!?

thum_39345b8a643bdbc78.jpgthum_39345b8a643c03ad1.jpgthum_39345b2b75027dfe4.jpgthum_39345b2b75028b0fe.jpg

Looking for a way to provide some fresh air to the front discs with the calipers in front of the spindles is not really easy.
So after some time trying to route the ducting hose with not a proper fitment, I decided to relocate the calipers at the rear of the spindles.
Way more room to do what you want !! :)

thum_39345b87bbea8a405.jpg

Nice work! I also like the flared lightening hole in the radiator crossmember bracket. :thumbs:

I don't have the tool to do that, so I had to do my brackets in aluminum. I also duplicated the crossmember shape in aluminum for about 4 or 5 pounds less weight.

This is what I did to the crossmember, cut some windows in it. I should have done the top side side as well, next time..
thum_39345b8e45825fd7f.jpg

I must admit that I am taking inspiration from your car too , trying to make it as it was in 68/69 pre big flares period.

The best comment I had for the car so far, was from an older (than me !) gentleman who really appreciated the old school vibe of the Vette beside its sound at full chat.

I've been going through build photos, and saw a bunch of cars that added a second stationary cooling hose pointed directly at the caliper. May only be needed for a max effort, not sure.

Yes, I have seen them as well, and all the answers I had to my questions about their efficiency were either: Oh yes it work really well , with no facts to back it . Or just a blank face.
I just have a AP temperature sticker on each caliper to monitor the heat.
We will see :)

Well it as been a while since my last post about disc and caliper temperatures.
I found out that, I can control really efficiently the cooling of the front discs with the existing setup.
But less about the calipers who are taking 190 deg C heat peak.
So I went on, adding a second scoop each side and tubing directed at the calipers.

thum_39345d15dad5c7d90.jpgthum_39345d15dad6074e7.jpgthum_39345d15db4c019b0.jpgthum_39345d15db4c34698.jpg

Made some brake pad stainless steel shims as well, to lessen the heat transfer to the pistons.
thum_39345d15d7f74b494.jpg

And closed half of the lower radiator openings as the scoops being in the way, no need for debris to get lodged behind and maybe streamline the body a touch.thum_39345d15db4c66dcf.jpg
I will see the end result in 3 weeks at the next race meeting. Fingers crossed !
I apologize for not having pictures about how the brake dust's covering the side gills ( air flow ). I keep forgetting about it until the car as been clean by me or my helper !! I must say that the new pads I am using are not dusty/dirty at all, for the better.