Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Workshop > Fabrication Section

Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Is there some reason to not just turn it over the traditional way, with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer?

Just curious, this seems like an elegant solution.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:23 AM
United States | Huh?

My Photos: (140)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
Is there some reason to not just turn it over the traditional way, with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer?

Just curious, this seems like an elegant solution.
I don't have to remove the fan & shroud & loosen the alternator to take the tension off the belt & pulley and then dick with trying to get & keep the socket on the bolt head, I don't have to heave on it and worry about busted knuckles or an over-torqued or busted bolt or busted something else in the engine bay, I can spin it in reverse, I don't have to keep crawling under and back out, I get to use power tools and leverage and finesse instead of brute force, I can be precise in how far I turn the engine, and maybe most importantly I got to make a really cool little tool I'll probably only use once or twice, but I had fun making it and it's really cool!

Last edited by JPhil; 05-14-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Old 05-17-2015, 03:14 PM
United States | Gearhead

My Photos: (4)

That, is pretty cool. I like it. Something to build when I get some time! There is a local starter rebuilder here who is going out of business because the chain stores with Chinese rebuilt starters and alternators are killing him.
I'll have to see if he has any old chevy starters around.

Nice idea!
67 coupe- gone but not forgotten.( like to get another one some day)
Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1999 View Post
That, is pretty cool. I like it. Something to build when I get some time! There is a local starter rebuilder here who is going out of business because the chain stores with Chinese rebuilt starters and alternators are killing him.

Nice idea!
Just a few short months ago, we lost an olde tyme starter/alternator place here in Orange Park, but the guy was like my age....71+.....he was a good source for parts....
Old 05-17-2015, 07:58 PM
United States | Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1999 View Post

Nice idea!

Coming from you, Gary, that is a compliment I can be proud of. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 AM
United States | Huh?

Default Part Two: Indicator base

OK so the engine spinner works fine but when I went to put my dial indicator on the crankshaft end I found there was no way the mount I had would work. Hmmm...looks like I get to make another tool! Oh boy, this project is turning into loads of fun!

This one was quick: A trip to Ace Hardware for some metric bits to screw into the magnetic base. A 3" M8 bolt and a bunch of nuts. Of course I bought a bunch of other hardware too, just in case this didn't pan out.

Cut off the head of the bolt. Fold, drill & grind a tang on a piece of flat stock for the gauge holder, double nuts for it all. A hose clamp to hold the indicator works fine.Then I decided it needed a handle to work inside the bellhousing. Drill, cut, bend--voila.

This one only took a couple hours including the trip to the store. Worked fine.

The bellhousing dialed in at .0025", well within the max .005" allowed, so no need for offset dowel pins.

The whole dialing in thing only took maybe 45 minutes at the most. Once I had the indicator in place (& the handle made that so easy), I just sat under the car and squeezed the trigger of the air ratchet, took a reading, repeat as needed. I spun it 360* six times, with a reading at every 90*. Then I decided to double check, so I did it again, another six turns, at 90* but 45* from the first set of readings. All measured out equivalent, .005" total runout equaling .0025" misalignment.

Last edited by JPhil; 06-04-2015 at 02:25 AM..
Old 07-20-2015, 05:54 PM
United States | Knows just enough to be dangerous!

My Photos: (105)

hello my names is mark and im a/an???

I love it..

guess im not the only one around there are so many custom built tools lying around like a yolk puller for spicer 1350 yokes and a spring compressor Ohlins Monoshocks... oh and a CNC Plasmacutter out of and old computer tape drive robot... and a R8 CNC mill... and we built the DC power supplies for the stepper motors too out of old computer parts...
1971 Can-Am, 502 Ramjet, CC Rollers, hookers, 14 pt cage, Lakewood, McLeod RST DD, ROD 6 trans, 3.08 rear, Wilwood brakes, Hydraboost, Steeroids, Tubular A-arms, QA1 DA and Viking DA shocks, VanSteel HD offset TA's w/Johnny Joints, 6 link, 3" tele halfshafts, modded dragvette loops, 16 gallon fuel cell, basset wheels 15x10x4 with nitto 555r 275/50VR15, 15x12x4.5 with nitto 555r 325/50VR15's, Ultrashield seats, SW Clocks, 16" spal fan, Jones Racing RTP, FIA lights, Mirrors, Action...