DIY Remote

molested84

Hey guys, here's what I came up with while trying to add a remote system to my 84. I ordered this 9-function control unit from Gama Electronics. John(owner), is a car guy as well and is currently restoring a 1957 Buick convertible.

remote1.jpg

I went to the junkyard and pulled 4 GM express-down relays @$3.99 each (plus it was 30% off that day). You can find these behind the driver's door panel on various mid to late 90's Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Buicks. Part number is 25614182.

expressrelay.jpg

The receiver is thin enough that I can sneak it in on top of the glove box and still have easy access should I need to make any changes. In case you're wondering, that thing on the left is a garage door opener from a '98 Buick Park Avenue.

remote2.jpg

garage1.jpg

relaymess.jpg

So, now I have both express-down and express-up windows using either the console switches or the remote. I also have it wired where one button on the remote will trigger the door lock relay and roll both windows up at the same time.

If you just want to add the express-down feature to your ride. Here is the factory wiring diagram.

1995Bonnevile.jpg

And here's how I wired it to get express up and down.

1995Bonnevile2.jpg

This one shows a little more detail of the relay.

expressdownrelay.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Closest thing I did was use a Sears Gar door opener receiver to power a latch relay that enables the computer....so key on, hit the GD opener and then crank engine.....

on another car, years ago, I used a series of latch relay logic so that 3 things had to be true before button one THEN button two could be pushed to enable car to start....

Course, nothing beats a hook....:hissyfit:

on another car, years ago, I used a series of latch relay logic so that 3 things had to be true before button one THEN button two could be pushed to enable car to start....

What chew talkin 'bout Willis?

Seriously though, what is this logic thing that you speak of? Sounds interesting.

What chew talkin 'bout Willis?

Seriously though, what is this logic thing that you speak of? Sounds interesting.

Simple relay logic, self latching the first relay had to be energized/closing contacts coil actuated by interior lights, by doors or panel switch...then you need to turn on the ignition to be able to energize DPDT relay ONE that enabled fuel pump, then relay two that enabled ignition FP had one button that had to be pushed first, then button two enabled Ign. and so lights on #1, Ign on #2, punch button ONE, punch button 2, then crank/start engine....the buttons were pretty well hidden under the seat edge, take a LOT of effort to find them....keep in mind, this was built from my old stock of shelf/collection of parts at nearly zero cost....about '89 or so....

strictly electrical, nothing 'electronic' about it....

but that car was going NO where soon, without a hook....

I am famous for doing my own wiring, like my current ride, without the ~4" file on it, so when my son get it he can figger it out with ease....

NONE of my wiring is stock codes with regard to color....

and deliberately very confusing with same colors used throughout for the 'security' systems.....:hissyfit::club:

Ah, I see I see. I still kick myself for not taking electronics course when I was younger.

LOL, same here. I put all my notes down on paper, but without that, good luck chasing the rainbow of wiring.

....keep in mind, this was built from my old stock of shelf/collection of parts at nearly zero cost....

Hey man, that's my favorite kind of parts...zero cost.

Ah, I see I see. I still kick myself for not taking electronics course when I was younger.

LOL, same here. I put all my notes down on paper, but without that, good luck chasing the rainbow of wiring.

....keep in mind, this was built from my old stock of shelf/collection of parts at nearly zero cost....

:smash::smash::thumbs::):surrender:

Nice write up, awesome attitude, love that.

Thank you Denis, I appreciate that...and yeah, I refuse to pay Corvette Tax.

I just finished reading your lonnnnnnnnnng restoration thread. Wow! You got some crazy good skillz my friend. Now you got me thinking about a steering wheel re-do.

Nice work :thumbs: