Six Link Rear Suspension

5-Link to 6-Link

I arrived on this site chasing a "6-link" Google trail. I have a '56 with a fabricated IRS (currently 5-link) that I am (once again) modifying -- this time to a 6-link configuration. Currently it has a Tom's Differential C-3 3rd member, C-4 outer uprights and bearing hubs, and Driveshaft Shop aluminum half shafts. It has fairly long forward links that are fully adjustable for anti-squat/anti-dive. The longer forward links minimize the anti-loose roll steer built into C-4 suspensions. The body is widened 6 inches to accomodate 345s on 13X18 HREs without having to shorten the half shafts (trying to minimize geometry changes and tire side scrub). I am buliding an upper link and will replace the half shafts with axles with CV joints -- basically C6 ZR1 stuff running through C6 SKF hubs adapted to the C4 uprights. I considered going to upper and lower control arms, but I like the strength and adjustability of the forward links. Of interest, some of you may want to Google Heidt's new "bolt in" IRS for early Camaros. They took their old Jag-based IRS with "loaded" half shafts, added an upper link, and swapped the half shafts for axles/CVs.

Attachments

• Rear Suspension.JPG
    Rear Suspension.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 224
Nice work. Like to see some more pix!

attachment.php

Wow, nice indeed!

How are you going to convert this 5 bar to a 6 link? If your stub axles are tight without end play there is absolutely no benefit to upper rods

Twin Turbo,

You are correct --I called it a six-link, but in reality it is still a 5-link (the new upper link actually replaces the half shaft as a suspension member). The new axle shafts, with CV joints are "along for the ride" as far as the suspension is concerned. The CV joints allow the axle length to expand and contract as necessary with suspension travel -- exactly as the C5/C6 Corvette shafts do.

oh, slip shafts. Some people here used those too (I will too eventually when I pick up on where I left years ago), it realy is the only way to go and not have the halfshaft interfere with your geometry. Looking forward to seeing how you will do that.

oh, slip shafts. Some people here used those too (I will too eventually when I pick up on where I left years ago), it realy is the only way to go and not have the halfshaft interfere with your geometry. Looking forward to seeing how you will do that.

Yea Twin T : Not cheap ..... but necessary for true Six link ..... I have enough material cut for two sets of wheel bearing brackets (Not trailing arms anymore)
One set welded up (had trouble getting 6" OD tubing )

IMG_2355.jpg
IMG_2356.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg

Macx, Welcome to VetteMOD

The drawings are available in the downloads section of VetteMOD.

By all means, I'd love the drawings and any other info.
[email protected]

Been considering this ever since I saw the original article on it years ago.

I found that the links, ends/joints, threaded rods, etc, are all available relatively cheap on http://www.mcmaster.com/#
Welcome aboard.
If you don't want your mailbox flooded with spam, you'd better obfuscate your email address to something like:

macx351_at_yahoo.com or [email protected]
Malicious Bots are scanning every forums all over the web harvesting email addresses.

Thanks!

I'd seen that before early in my research so didn't understand all that was happening. Now it all pretty much falls into place and makes more sense.

Looks like way way too much work for what I want to achieve, but obviously
a great project.

As I'm not concerned with squat and dive - not only won't be driving it to that extreme but probly won't have enuf sheer power to make it happen in any significant way out of mild engine upgrade - I think I'll do the 6 link on the stock C3 suspension. I can make that up myself reasonably easily and at low
cost and I believe it will do the majority of what I'm looking for.

BTW thanks for that tip on posting emails - I never did know that. I've got
very vigorous security apps and blockers but still do get some spam altho haven't had any real incursions in the several years since I educated myself on that and installed the apps. Every little bit helps!

BTW thanks for that tip on posting emails - I never did know that. I've got
very vigorous security apps and blockers but still do get some spam altho haven't had any real incursions in the several years since I educated myself on that and installed the apps. Every little bit helps!
You can still edit your post, maybe it's not too late.

Update

Good morning Gent's :

I have some up dated photos of the Six link bearing housing bracket (No longer a trailing arm). They turned out better than expected. My welder called them "Suspension Jewelry" Thanks again Pier Paolo .......

P1000192.jpg
P1000185.jpg
P1000186.jpg

Last edited:
the top is correct, the bottom is my assembly as I was trying to figure out if all the individual parts were there.