how to remove bonding tape

BangkokDean

I want to replace the vinyl wood veiner on my plastic console. I have peeled it off no problem but how do you remove the thick bonding stuff off with out destroying the plastic console?

There are some products specifically for removing adhesives. I have used GooBeGone but never on plastic.

Gasoline, lacquer thinner, alky haul, is what I would try on the backside of the plastic to see if it affects it, then try on the goo .....trick is, any of that chrome paint around edges maybe affected.....

question for you.....on your console plastic, how are the little tabs with mounting screws in them?? they intact or splitting?? down here in Florida...I have seen 2-3 of them along with the HVAC control packs that are all basically splitting/falling apart on the mechanical assy points.......

I wondering if it's sunlight or just age causing the failures I seen....

:shocking:

Gasoline, lacquer thinner, alky haul, is what I would try on the backside of the plastic to see if it affects it, then try on the goo .....trick is, any of that chrome paint around edges maybe affected.....

question for you.....on your console plastic, how are the little tabs with mounting screws in them?? they intact or splitting?? down here in Florida...I have seen 2-3 of them along with the HVAC control packs that are all basically splitting/falling apart on the mechanical assy points.......

I wondering if it's sunlight or just age causing the failures I seen....

:shocking:

My plastic console is around 6 years old and I don't leave the car in the sun so it is in good shape. I just tried using lighter fluid and the did the trick, loosened the glue and I used a razor to scrape it off. The top surface is scratched but I plan to recover it again. Now to repaint the chrome edge before applying the new wood grain cover.

Try WD-40 (it takes off most all adhesives) should not affect the plastic like lacquer thinners will. Still try in in a non conspicuous spot.
c-ya
ToddG :beer: