Plastic Fantastic 2

so after a bunch of phone time, research, this is what I'm using to adhere the flares... I should say, this is the first step of adhering. The next step will then fiberglass behind the seams and fiberglass in the places where I got it a bit wide....

s-l300.jpg

so after a bunch of phone time, research, this is what I'm using to adhere the flares... I should say, this is the first step of adhering. The next step will then fiberglass behind the seams and fiberglass in the places where I got it a bit wide....

s-l300.jpg
Great stuff, used it to glue my front clip. Just make sure you do it right, in case of mistake it won't come easily like the pink stock adhesive, heat or not.

I never make mistakes :confused2::footmouth:

The CIC flares are not perfect, they're actually kind of not really close - keep in mind that my flares were the 2nd set they ever produced and I knew that when I got them so it's not error but it does mean there will be a bit of re-sculpting... the benefit of that is I'd really have to work at it to need to have to re-mount the fenders....

I provide this as rationale.... not discussion, more to help someone see what choices are out there to bond fenders. If someone doesn't like what I'm doing... my advice is don't do it my way.

choices for bonding agent (beside fiberglass) 3m 8279, 3m 8219. I also didn't use 3m 8116 or other (e.g. evercoat) manufacturer's product.

I didn't use 8219 because it cures harder then the fiberglass, 8219 is the fast-cure version (35 minutes). With that said, 8219/8279 are fiberglass/fiberglass bond. 8115 also bonds to metal. 8116 is the fast cure version of 8115. It was designed for production line work for GM. There is a claim that it's not as strong, but, any damage that would make it break would destroy the panel as well so my opinion is it's kind of moot.

Evercoat vette bond is what a friend is using on his car, it's been discontinued - that said, I'm using Evercoat panel adhesive (which is not the same as Evercoat panel bond) as a filler once I get the first layers of fiberglass in place along with creating my own bonding strips for all the points where the panel is butt-jointed.

affixing during the drying process.... I don't know yet - I have the clecos, and if you dip them in wax, they won't stick to the glue... of course, you've now just introduced wax into a bare panel - so that will have to be dealt with... there will be a bunch of hole filling so my current thought is wax clecos, then when it's dry, countersink the hole to clean the wax out and give a good bond when I fiberglass the hole closed.

Last edited:
affixing during the drying process.... I don't know yet - I have the clecos, and if you dip them in wax, they won't stick to the glue... of course, you've now just introduced wax into a bare panel - so that will have to be dealt with... there will be a bunch of hole filling so my current thought is wax clecos, then when it's dry, countersink the hole to clean the wax out and give a good bond when I fiberglass the hole closed.
I used short wood screw, mine were Robertson head but hex head would do. Point is you want a very good grip.
if so it's pretty easy to pop them out afterward.
I still had work to fill up the holes , but at least there was no contamination.
Note: I used epoxy, not sure it's the same with polyester.

Thanks, I'm not 100% sure I need to do anything to keep them from adhering.... more likely, though, I'll set the fende with clecos, then screw it on once the glue is in place using the cleco holes

hood work
P1181566_zpsx5nxkrv2.jpg

it's almost a shame to cut this apart because it's a 74 L82, 454 hood
P1181567_zpsnkqtbaei.jpg

nope, doesn't even slow me down
P1181570_zps3tnmyja8.jpg

one thing I didn't know, the motor isn't perfectly centered
P1181571_zpsku5jka7y.jpg

oops?
P1181572_zpsfiwl5mok.jpg

if anyone wants to know how much a 3" filter on a dominator intake on a 427 sticks above the hood line... there it is
P1181573_zpstzmukxhw.jpg

hole filled
P1181574_zpsi0nvl0rr.jpg

yeah, that's not going to be fun
P1181575_zps9jq7z8dg.jpg

I like it, though
P1181576_zpsckkmj0p1.jpg
paint fell off
P1181577_zpsl8i4npa9.jpg

​​​​​​​

i have so many photos with them i have no real way of getting them back in an easy fashion that i can think of ....i dont mind paying for stuff I just hate getting screwed. i still am using the old subscription that i have.

i will have to see if i can find a way to bulk down load them.

looking good did you see photobucket blinked.....and are now offering a $99 un limited 3rd part hosting?
I checked on their website and looks like it's still $400/y for third party hosting.
Paying is one thing, being ripped off is another, IMHO Photobucket can go to hell.

looking good did you see photobucket blinked.....and are now offering a $99 un limited 3rd part hosting?
I checked on their website and looks like it's still $400/y for third party hosting.
Paying is one thing, being ripped off is another, IMHO Photobucket can go to hell.

i get a banner that pops up when i am signed on offering the $99 unlimited 3rd party posting

back to snorting fiberglass
P1231587_zpsvv702ky1.jpg

first knock the rest of the old glue off
P1231588_zpsoemb1eub.jpg

and the shiney off the back of the flare
P1231589_zpspeswgkdd.jpg

cheat a door alignment.edited I have the pins, but I simply adjusted the door hinge to get a ballpark on alignment
P1231590_zpscflxmcpu.jpg

close, interestingly once I put the new pins and bushings in place it'll be very, very close - meaning this is okay, but it'll be a lot better (it adjusted to this point, before it was 1/4 inch low)
P1231591_zpslay7ta1b.jpg

time for a high-tech reference line to be sure the flares are of similar altitude
P1231592_zpsycuwcdko.jpg

1 'down' 3 to go... one thing I did realize is I'll not be gluing the door post in place... where the skin is level with the flare has quite a gap in the middle of the door/flare.... ah well, fiberglass makes a good gap filler
P1231593_zpsg2dwk92x.jpg

onto the next
P1231594_zpsjlch1zbc.jpg
now with glue removed
P1231595_zps4agkuxdp.jpg
​​​​​​​

more snorting glass
P1241597_zpsxhodmrl7.jpg

last night I looked at the picture and decided the rear panel was too far forward
P1241596_zpsscfgotuj.jpg

so I moved it... which brings up gaps, looks like I'll be spending some quality time creating reasonable ones... ah well, if it were easy I'd find a way to make it harder... that said, if I do these again, I may do it a different way....

last corner then final fitment
P1271604_zpssveamrgq.jpg

perspective views - mostly for me to use the digital camera to be certain everything is close to proper alignment
P1271605_zpsdj40c6dk.jpg
P1271606_zpsgxsruose.jpg

P1271607_zpsptsdlhqc.jpg
P1271608_zps3tvgckwy.jpg

P1271609_zps5ogfgcxz.jpg
P1271610_zpsk3q0sjab.jpg

hum, that tail needs more tire
​​​​​​​P1271611_zps6bjjmstr.jpg

woo hoo looks like we are back in business....did we lose a months worth of data in the forum crash? any body know what happened?

I was having withdrawals waiting for it to come back up. I still look through the other forum as well, but the community here is much more civil without all the anal retentiveness. I'm enjoying watching the fiberglass work. While my car has been sitting all these years awaiting my attention, the front clip separated from the header between the headlights. That gives me a good excuse to properly repair some crash damage from the previous owner. Watching these threads give me come much needed confidence to dive in. :) Not sure I'll tackle flares, but front clip, door gaps, bumpers and hood may be a go.