Shimming a Starter

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I see info with instructions on how to shim a starter but they all presume the bellhousing is not attached to the engine. I assume 99% of the time the bellhousing is in place.

So, how do you shim a starter? My guess is that you could install with no shims, try it and see if it sounds OK. Doesn't seem like a very good method.

With the starter in the rest mode, you take a 1/8" spacer and slide between two of the fly/flex teeth and the naked end of the starter motor...should slide easy

lately they seem to include a certain size allen wrench because it's easier to get in there....but of course I forget the size....do a search....

:shocking:

I've been racking my brain trying to remember what I did last year with my new PowerMaster starter to the new flywheel of my 5-speed. The steel bellhousing has a big opening around the starter gear and I think I used a big paper clip or maybe a piece of wire bent for a go-no-go gauge between the gear teeth of the starter & flywheel. But in the end, I just ran it and have had no problem.....

Withe the engine/trans assembled there are no options I have seen. In addition the starter I have has a "nose cone" on so there is no access.

I think I just install with no shims and see if it sounds OK.

As long as it doesn't gronch, skip or bang when it engages, doesn't grind or chatter when it turns over and doesn't hang up upon disengagement, it should be fine.

I have a 200 4r trans now, used to have a 700, played with 350 and 400's over the decades, and it's been the same....need to remove and toss that silly metal plate they have on auto transmissions.....been so damn long ago, I forget the install on a stick shift.....:shocking::crap: but it's gotta be the same clearance....

I try to show in computer, the concept.....

0---starter front shaft NO bendix teeth.....
------------lines to indicate the 1/8 diameter 'gauge'
^^ mimic the teeth on flywheel......

and obviously no space in the vertical as above......but no binding either.....

:beer:

I'm part of the "if it sounds fine, it is" group. If it isn't sounding right and one "shim" doesn't work then I pull the bendix off and see what's up. The one that has gotten me more then once is the flywheel being out-of-round. That said, I've done hundreds and only had trouble with 2 or 3.

I'm part of the "if it sounds fine, it is" group. If it isn't sounding right and one "shim" doesn't work then I pull the bendix off and see what's up. The one that has gotten me more then once is the flywheel being out-of-round. That said, I've done hundreds and only had trouble with 2 or 3.

An OUT OF ROUND flywheel??:shocking::crap::gurney:

What you do to repair the problem? Get a new fly wheel? Was it seated properly?:confused2:

The flywheel was not out of round. The issue was that I couldn't check the clearance by inserting a pin between the starter pinion and the flywheel because there was no access (bellhousing closed off access).

I installed with one shim. That worked.