Road racing pads

OZgreen69

I had sitting on the shelf 2 full set of race pads from Guldstrand, and just used one right now with factory/quality type discs. And expecting LMP1 braking feel.
Well !! BAD MOVE ! After beading them in and back in the workshop and wheels off , I found that after maybe 7 miles the discs are nearly gone !!

I know that discs can be cheaper than pads, but you are supposed to replace more pads than discs !!:skeptic:
So, I don't know what Guldstrand was using for brake discs in the days, but ??

Anyway !
What you guys are using when you go road racing or track days ??
I looked at Porterfield R4 and Carbotech XP24 and XP10

Any experiences appreciated.

not sure what LMP1 is but I used two sets of front rotors and one set of rears for 36 races, pads maybe every three or four races and of course more front pads than rears.

Mine isn't a race car, but just the way life has turned out the last several years I've found that about 90% of the miles I put on the car are track day miles. I run stock C3 size rotors up front (11.75", but two piece lightweight Wilwoods) and stock C4 rotors in the rear (11.5"). I get about a thousand miles on the front rotors before they're so chewed up from the aggressive Wilwood pads that replacement is in order. I get about 300 miles out of a set of front pads, but a major reason is that the pad area is small (I'm running Wilwood calipers) compared to C3 pads.

The rear rotors look like I can get about 2500 miles out of them. Pad life is also at least twice what the fronts are.

The car weighs 2750# which helps me be able to have fun with the car while retaining brakes that still fit inside the stock 15" street wheels.

I'll confess a bit of head scratching regarding the extremely low miles you got out of those front rotors.

Hi Red,
LMP1 : Le mans Prototype 1, I remember doing 3 laps, as a passenger, in a 905 Peugeot who won Le Mans overall earlier on. Mind boggling speed and OMG brakes !! I remember really well the driver asking me to breathe !!

Hey 69427, we are on the same line here I am not a kill all racer, well not anymore, I built that car to have a smile on my face each time that I look at it, and even more driving it on a track.
I may go with the Wilwood H to start with , and keep an eye on the temperatures . I just need to find a base line for this car.

Hi Red,
LMP1 : Le mans Prototype 1, I remember doing 3 laps, as a passenger, in a 905 Peugeot who won Le Mans overall earlier on. Mind boggling speed and OMG brakes !! I remember really well the driver asking me to breathe !!

Hey 69427, we are on the same line here I am not a kill all racer, well not anymore, I built that car to have a smile on my face each time that I look at it, and even more driving it on a track.
I may go with the Wilwood H to start with , and keep an eye on the temperatures . I just need to find a base line for this car.

I've been running the B compound pads. The H looks a bit better when cold, and just slightly better than the B when hot.

I'm satisfied with the performance of the B pads, other than how fast they chew up the rotors. Let me know your opinion of the H pads once you've had an opportunity to give them a workout.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am ordering the H then, the time to receive them will take a while. But I'll let you know how it goes.

Well!! I didn't order the Wilwood pads from the US on the rumors that the Ozy customs are on the lookout for parts containing asbestos . If you cannot demonstrate that the part(s) are clean, you may have to forfeit the goods. Anyway ! True or not, I do not want to gamble a few hundred for nothing, so I bought some Circo pads . Australian brand made in ... Japan! Being used here on big cars like ours, in the Australian Trans-Am, historic racing and modern as well .Definitely not cheap but.. I want to stop

thum_39345b2b75027dfe4.jpgthum_39345b2b75028b0fe.jpg

This is for 69427 !
M155 for the rear:
Friction 0.37 to 0.42 Mu Temp:200 degC to 850 degC
M207 Front:
Friction 0.45 to 0.56 Mu Temp 250 degC to 920 DegC

Another 2 weeks to go, and I will be able to says if I stopped at the end of the strait or....not !!

"If you cannot demonstrate that the part(s) are clean, you may have to forfeit the goods."

Have them include an MSDS sheet.

Well? Apparently it is more complicated than that. I know for sure that guys importing old cars , like 20 years old, can be in real trouble. But it is always like that when politicians rattle their sabers ! Nobody give a f.... about asbestos fences in old suburbs but suddenly they will ponce onto an exhaust gasket entering the country who shows some trace of it !
Facts: Maserati sent few vintage cars for some special event of the brand here in OZ, the cars went into quarantine not allowed to enter the country !!!! This made the TV headline !
Politicians and greens !!!