replace valve stem without removing tire from rim

turtlevette

The Turdle
Over the past few years i've had problems with valve stems leaking. I've got a slow leak in one right now.

I found this with an internet search.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbN7FBbSEsY[/ame]

We'll see if it works when i get it in a few days.

He sure made it look easy. It'll be interesting to see how easy you find it to work.

Not the sort of thing that you'll use every day but handy when you don't wat to take the wheel to the tire store.

He sure made it look easy. It'll be interesting to see how easy you find it to work.

Not the sort of thing that you'll use every day but handy when you don't wat to take the wheel to the tire store.

It ain't as easy as they make it look. I've been practicing on a spare rim. It's impossible to force a dry stem through that tube. I used some silicone spray lube and was successfull installing the stem a few times but also failed 4 times. I'm going to find my silicone grease and try again. I think silicone grease will lube much better.

It's about 40 bucks to have a shop break it down and rebalance. The bigger reason to have this is because i travel without a spare and almost got stranded once by a dry rotted valve stem. It's a good tool to carry with me.

It ain't as easy as they make it look. I've been practicing on a spare rim. It's impossible to force a dry stem through that tube. I used some silicone spray lube and was successfull installing the stem a few times but also failed 4 times. I'm going to find my silicone grease and try again. I think silicone grease will lube much better.

It's about 40 bucks to have a shop break it down and rebalance. The bigger reason to have this is because i travel without a spare and almost got stranded once by a dry rotted valve stem. It's a good tool to carry with me.

WTF?? mark it with chalk, pop the valve side loose, replace stem, reinflate....if back side was not forced off the rim, there was no need for the chalk mark...balance is the same... done it once...

:clobbered:

WTF?? mark it with chalk, pop the valve side loose, replace stem, reinflate....if back side was not forced off the rim, there was no need for the chalk mark...balance is the same... done it once...

:clobbered:

As much as this tool needs some practice to use effectively, it's way way easier than breaking the bead on a tire.

Last edited:

and the problem with metal valve stems is?

Last edited by a moderator:
TMRW is definitely another day, BUT I have never had a problem with valve stems....really....over 1/2 a century...but I demand new stems with every tire change....CS 101,

and the problem with metal valve stems is?

It has a nut and can loosen up. The rubber seal will still rot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to travel without a spare wheel and trusted the plug kit and fixAflat... this has never been an issue until Nov 2011 when I was stranded on I95 with a punctured tire that went flat within 5 minutes after a stop for gas.... anyways, I was in the left lane at maybe 75mph when I noticed the car was pulling to the left.... flat tire.... by the time I made it to the right and onto the shoulder the tire sidewall was destroyed... FixAFlat didn't help much so I had to call AAA .... it was after midnight and dark so even if the plug kit could have fixed the problem there was no way I was going to try to plug a tire in the dark surrounded by fireants and other bugs on 95 with cars going by at 80 mph .... since then I carry a spare ....

I used to travel without a spare wheel and trusted the plug kit and fixAflat... this has never been an issue until Nov 2011 when I was stranded on I95 with a punctured tire that went flat within 5 minutes after a stop for gas.... anyways, I was in the left lane at maybe 75mph when I noticed the car was pulling to the left.... flat tire.... by the time I made it to the right and onto the shoulder the tire sidewall was destroyed... FixAFlat didn't help much so I had to call AAA .... it was after midnight and dark so even if the plug kit could have fixed the problem there was no way I was going to try to plug a tire in the dark surrounded by fireants and other bugs on 95 with cars going by at 80 mph .... since then I carry a spare ....

I have a spare, complete with Detroit air. :lol:

I have a spare, complete with Detroit air. :lol:

about 80 pounds of needless weight.

in all these years I have never (never) had a flat tire keep me from getting home, I was always abke to either use a patch kit or a can of FixAFlat.... this one time when I was stuck on 95 after midnight at AAA's mercy really made me change my mind about carrying a spare ..... the spare that I have is actually a donut that I already had in my Z28... I took a Dremel to the holes to make it fit Chevy and Ford bolt patterns, I doubt the Donut weighs more than 25lbs :huh:

Last edited:
in all these years I have never (never) had a flat tire keep me from getting home, I was always abke to either use a patch kit or a can of FixAFlat.... this one time when I was stuck on 95 after midnight at AAA's mercy really made me change my mind about carrying a spare ..... the spare that I have is actually a donut that I already had in my Z28... I took a Dremel to the holes to make it fit Chevy and Ford bolt patterns, I doubt the Donut weighs more than 25lbs :huh:

is that lightweight spare the same diameter? You can tear up these posi units pretty quick with a different size wheel on each side in the back.

is that lightweight spare the same diameter? You can tear up these posi units pretty quick with a different size wheel on each side in the back.

good point, i would probably have to swap a front wheel to the rear and use the donut on the front...