these old tires suck.....

MYBAD79

I'm running 295-50-15 Dunlop GT Qualifiers on the rear, 4 years old but only 3500 miles on them... look like new but don't grip at all in the rain :crap:
I usually don't drive the '79 when it rains but today I was 40 miles from my house when it started to rain. I had pretty much no traction whatsoever when trying to accelerate... even in 2nd and 3rd gear the rear tires would just spin ... almost like driving in snow/ice....

Hardhead, you supposed to LIFT in the rain.....jeez....

but seriously, I have been very impressed with the much superior tires with later larger dia and width rims.....

anything else is a truck tire...stick on Goodyear Wranglers....

:evil::nuts:

I think the combination of tires that were designed in the 70's, wet roads and a 383 stroker is not really all that great :sick:

Funny that even when I tried to accelerate slowly it would fishtail... taking the exit ramp at 40mph was scary but I couldn't go much slower with this minivan riding my bumper.... :eek:

I had some tires on my Tahoe that had zero traction in the rain even though they had a lot of tread. Scared the hell out of me. I think they were about 10 years old!

Try smoking them up for a few minutes, see if that improves their traction.

Don't forget to post the pics :lol:

Living in sandland that long, YOU would be ONE guy I"d be scared to drive in the rain with.....:banghead::hissyfit::banned:

Living in sandland that long, YOU would be ONE guy I"d be scared to drive in the rain with.....:banghead::hissyfit::banned:
You should see when it rains out here. It only happens for a few days every year, sometimes not even that. No storm water system, to speak of, in place so the roads get a lovely build of slippery crap. As soon as the rain hits, it's mayhem - the roads are like ice. Fun to watch, scary to be amongst. Hehe, funny watching a Caprice Classic trying to ford a flooded intersection - deep enough that Englaisies in 4WD's are turning back :gurney:

You should see when it rains out here. It only happens for a few days every year, sometimes not even that. No storm water system, to speak of, in place so the roads get a lovely build of slippery crap. As soon as the rain hits, it's mayhem - the roads are like ice. Fun to watch, scary to be amongst. Hehe, funny watching a Caprice Classic trying to ford a flooded intersection - deep enough that Englaisies in 4WD's are turning back :gurney:

OH, shit, that smacks of any fresh rain after a dry spell, brings up all the road oils and crap into a slurry slicker than cat shit....

and up north here there is a condition where it's been cold enough LONG enough to freeze the roads pretty good, deep enough so when sleet/rain falls, it forms a slick ice sheet looking like a skating ring......and it's BLACK in color, called black ice for a reason, roads look just WET, when in fact it's totally undriveable....:hissyfit::gurney::crap:

"fresh rain after a dry spell, brings up all the road oils and crap into a slurry slicker than cat shit.."

Yep...put a vette into a ditch that way....mostly my fault for not taking it easy. Tires were TA radials that had some age on them.

perfect time to throw on some 18s

I am seriously thinking 8.5X20, and 10x20 Coys... with 245-35 and 285-30 ... ....... :drink:

Last I heard them tire prices were 3-400 EACH for anything larger then 18, which is why I stick to my 17's at 9.5 width....gotta be a limit on that shit....plus mine being stock vette rims are not the theft target.....

:devil::tth::cussing::bomb:

285-30-20 is $210 at the local store and $185 at Tirerack.... Yokohama S-drive... according to reviews a pretty good tire....

285-30-20 is $210 at the local store and $185 at Tirerack.... Yokohama S-drive... according to reviews a pretty good tire....

At least the dropped the price a bit, probably because new cars using them sizes now....a few years ago, it was fall off the wallet time with that shit....

:gurney:

I don't care what tires you put on a C3. If you drive in any kind of wet and tickle the go pedal just a wee bit too much you will spin like a saucer. I was 90* across 2 out of 3 lanes because I tried to pass someone going "too slow". More like I was going too fast....

:crap:

perfect time to throw on some 18s

I am seriously thinking 8.5X20, and 10x20 Coys... with 245-35 and 285-30 ... ....... :drink:

I am with TT on this one. 18's look good on C3's. 20's are just to much rim for the car.

I agree, 20" are not my first choice but fitment and price (as well as tire choices and price) make me think 20" it is....

I have (so far) not found a 18x10 rim with 4" or 3.5" backspacing. It can be made custom but then it's like $700 per rim... twice as much as the Coys C5 in 20"....

I would also need a matching rim in 18x8 or 18x9 for the front... again, all I found was custom and rather expensive...

18x12 might also fit but then the tires get really really expensive...

:banghead: