C4 A/C Blower in a C3 upgrade

Well, now that the blower is blowing great, I was still not happy. I want more. SO, even though I have a good working vacuum water valve and a good actuation of thge sysstem, I broke down and installed a ball valve under the air cleaner to positively shut off the water to the core. Went down from 48* to 42*. I'm sold on it. It's the cure.
I also installed those fire blanket type wraps that clamp on the exhaust pipes with ss hose clamps. They come in 1,2,&3' lengths. NO MORE hot foot at the floor. Good investment at $30 each.
Next up, dynamat the floor and doors with new carpet.:bounce:

:shocking:How come you land is so cheap in anaheim?

The Angels are here.:smash:

Motorcycle gangs have a way of lowering property values, don't they?

In my area, that would be an adder.:mad:

??? Few glimpses of that I have to think of as your house, it looks decent, about like mine....clean, neat, did a google satelite thing, looked good....

I took my a/c apart last week, and turned the nut/stem about 1/2 turn counter clockwise in the POV valve and sure enough the cooling went down about 10f.....so on a summer day in the 100f sun with 99% humidity, top down and cruising, the blower without compressor puts out 110f temps.....lovely.....so turn on the compressor, the output varies from 55-62f lower on the freeway, higher in traffic.....

I thinking of making the fan shroud mods to keep the entire squirrel cage in toe airstream instead of looosing 3/4 inch of it....

anyone comment??? actually done it for a A-B comparo???

I thinking of making the fan shroud mods to keep the entire squirrel cage in toe airstream instead of looosing 3/4 inch of it....

anyone comment??? actually done it for a A-B comparo???

It could only help Gene. I cannot fathom how it could hurt. As for if it would be worth the work,...........................

[A good friend of mine back east did that one as a present for me. If he reads this and wants to sell you one, so be it. The pattern is in the download section, and could be made with hand tools and patience.[/QUOTE]

The only thing missing from the drawing in the download is the thickness. What's that measurement? I can make one myself but I kinda need that one.

The spacer thickness that I needed was 3/4 inch. It is very important that the end of the fan be as close as possible (without touching) to the hole in the cowl.

Can you tell me which wire goes to power. There is a black one and a black one with a stripe. I used the striped one for power and I think the fan rotates backwards.

Not sure which is which, but if your fan is running backwards, just switch the wires.

Did the AC Delco PT189 connector fit your blower?

Did the pigtail connector recommended on page 1 fit the blower?

Has anybody tried to do this swap into a non A/C car?

Not me, but my old '72 vette squirrel cage and motor assy went into a old camper/motor home with no sweat, increasing the air flow a decent amount....it has aftermarket a/c on it...so the heater/blower fit fine...

:crutches:...all those blowers I have seen were identical in the 70's....

According to Rock Auto, Delco # 1580213 was used from 73-91, and Delco # 1580182 was used from 87-96. SO, was the larger fan not used untill 1987? Is #1580182 the unit I seek?
(And yes Gene, I will upgrade to a #10 ground wire at that time).:noworry:

I read through the posts, maybe I missed the answer. If I want to get a C4 fan for my 70, do I order the 1580182?

Thanks

Also, Can someone recommend a compressor for me? I'm using a Serpentine drive on my BB. (GMPP Serpentine for a SB with adapter plates.) It will accomodate an R4, but I'd like to put in a modern aluminum compressor (Sanden, Niponso...) Recommendation for a compressor that'll mount up in place of an R4. Thanks again.

According to Rock Auto, Delco # 1580213 was used from 73-91, and Delco # 1580182 was used from 87-96. SO, was the larger fan not used untill 1987? Is #1580182 the unit I seek?
(And yes Gene, I will upgrade to a #10 ground wire at that time).:noworry:

I read through the posts, maybe I missed the answer. If I want to get a C4 fan for my 70, do I order the 1580182?

Thanks

Also, Can someone recommend a compressor for me? I'm using a Serpentine drive on my BB. (GMPP Serpentine for a SB with adapter plates.) It will accomodate an R4, but I'd like to put in a modern aluminum compressor (Sanden, Niponso...) Recommendation for a compressor that'll mount up in place of an R4. Thanks again.

I don't think there is an adapter for a Sanden style/R4 conversion and you will have clearance problems with the head. Even though the Sanden is smaller, it is longer than the R4.

This is a picture of my R4 on a BB.

44bcdce4498341.jpg

There are two .pdf files. One is dimensioned and the other is to scale (so that you can print it and use as a template).

Has anybody tried to do this swap into a non A/C car?

Not me, but my old '72 vette squirrel cage and motor assy went into a old camper/motor home with no sweat, increasing the air flow a decent amount....it has aftermarket a/c on it...so the heater/blower fit fine...

:crutches:...all those blowers I have seen were identical in the 70's....

Gene are you taking parts of the vette to put on the old motor home ?