VetteMOD.com

VetteMOD.com (http://www.vettemod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Corvettes (http://www.vettemod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   C4 A/C Blower in a C3 upgrade (http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1666)

big2bird 08-16-2008 12:57 PM

C4 A/C Blower in a C3 upgrade
 
I have commited to doing this simple mod to get more air flow. A good friend is making me a spacer, and I went to order a new blower motor and wheel. According to Rock Auto, Delco # 1580213 was used from 73-91, and Delco # 1580182 was used from 87-96. SO, was the larger fan not used untill 1987? Is #1580182 the unit I seek?
(And yes Gene, I will upgrade to a #10 ground wire at that time).:noworry:

73 Mike 08-16-2008 03:53 PM

I remember that the fan and motor that you seek was from a "later C4." I suppose 87 is "later." I'll check the part number on the one I have in a box this afternoon if no one gets back to you sooner.

mrvette 08-16-2008 09:02 PM

I just got a motor/cage from a '94? and got over it....

I also thinking of pulling the entire a/c this fall when the humidity drops below 100% and them temps below 95f....these last two months damn nearly have been wetter'n the tropics....unusual rainfall, to make up for last winter when there is NONE...for damn nearly 6 months.....

think it was Wash DC or Maryland or summfin recently .....The object of pulliing it all down is to adjust the POA valve for 134, and then remold the glass housing to allow for the larger/deeper blower cage, so to get MORE flow yet....probably not needes in So Ca. Jeff, but here in sweat city...yes....damnit....:eek:

big2bird 08-16-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 17777)
I just got a motor/cage from a '94? and got over it....

I also thinking of pulling the entire a/c this fall when the humidity drops below 100% and them temps below 95f....these last two months damn nearly have been wetter'n the tropics....unusual rainfall, to make up for last winter when there is NONE...for damn nearly 6 months.....

think it was Wash DC or Maryland or summfin recently .....The object of pulliing it all down is to adjust the POA valve for 134, and then remold the glass housing to allow for the larger/deeper blower cage, so to get MORE flow yet....probably not needes in So Ca. Jeff, but here in sweat city...yes....damnit....:eek:

Between the glass tops, the SS exhaust, and no insulation, it has a hard time cooling. My truck cools off faster. I need to do this mod, build some SS heat shields underneath, and insulate. Just haven't bothered till now.
Let me know what you come up with, although I doubt I ever will.

mrvette 08-17-2008 01:26 AM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

NICE long thread on handling FLorida A/c problems,....the guy knows.....

read it all, :stirpot::stirpot:

GM Junkie is a LOT like me....I suspect....scarey really....

:sos::sos::sos::suicide::tomato:

big2bird 08-17-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 17797)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

NICE long thread on handling FLorida A/c problems,....the guy knows.....

read it all, :stirpot::stirpot:

GM Junkie is a LOT like me....I suspect....scarey really....

:sos::sos::sos::suicide::tomato:

That was a good thread Gene. We need Noonie to do a similar tech thread here on 134A conversions. I am pretty sure I got the jist of it though.

mrvette 08-17-2008 02:26 AM

Over the decades I have worked on almost all the GM a/c systems from the A6 like my '72 and even owned a predecessor with a hot gas bypass valve on the side of the compressor....in my '60 bonneville, which BTW could freeze the balls off a brigade of monkeys in a black car in Texas in August sun... :trumpet::shocking:

at any rate, the variations are many and so wide in system designs....

Ignoring the 3 compressors I know of.....the A6, the R4 POS I would never use on any car, and the later Sanden/Sankyo/Sanyo whatever imports.....like a Z6 but smaller...lighter...

then the expansion valve/POA like my system, then the damn VIR system that's been in and out of availability like my POA valve over the years....
then the later shark with the orifice tube and pressure switches, and God knows what for POA is anything as I forget right now.....

then there is Chrysler....forget them....junk....



SO to know among all the possible combos of just what in hell has gone on in the past, and the kinds of oils, much less quantity of oils, then into the specifics of each system and adapting to 134....good assed fucking luck, you going to need it.....

:shocking::shocking::beer::harhar:

big2bird 08-17-2008 10:34 PM

Yesterday I recieved my custom spacer. Extremely nice piece.

Today I picked up an 87 Vette Blower and wheel. My choice of Siemens(China) $35.00 or Delco (India) $70. I went with lifetime warranty.:crap:




Now, I cannot find the proper connector. I am usually pretty good at finding this stuff, but not today. All the connectors the houses say will fit are a "no way Jose."
Anybody got a good #? Mike?

BBShark 08-17-2008 10:49 PM

Pigtail for the fan should be:

AC Delco PT189
GM# 12101917

big2bird 08-17-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBShark (Post 17872)
Pigtail for the fan should be:

AC Delco PT189
GM# 12101917

Thanks Larry. That is the same as NAPA ECH-EC116. $12.00. I'll order it Monday. Thanks. (I'll take pics and write a tech on this when I get done)


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.