Remote Oil Filter Adapter Suggestions

pmazza

I have wrestled/modified with the Mocal sandwich adapter for a couple years and it is a POS. I think that Mocal stuff was not the best was brought up here somewhere, unfortunately I did not realize that until after I got it so I tried to make the best of it. The thermostat seems unreliable and the damn thing works loose no matter what. Needless to say it's off the car now. This is a pic of the Mocal:

thum_2244845f8ed45e33.jpg

I am looking for suggestions on a remote oil filter adapter brands that will give me a thermostat function and route to the -10 oil cooler lines I already have. Not breaking the bank would be nice too. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Phil

Don't get me started on Mocal :) What a bunch of junk :)

Do you need it to be a remote filter? You can get a nice sandwich plate (non bypassing) from moroso, well made (billet) and uses NPT to AN fittings. For a thermostat you could use the earls unit, it's a nice solid piece.

If you want it to be a remote filter, you can get all kinds of setups from barnes, peterson, moroso...depending on your budget. The barnes and peterson stuff is more expensive than moroso.

CV products has nice but expensive thermostats (check out V-twins car in the projects section he has one on his)

If you use a remote mount it will cost more as you will need the remote filter mount. fram has a nice unit in vatious sizes. Might as well go to a much larger filter size like the HP4 style. CV Products, moroso, peterson, barnes...they all have remote mounts. C&R has some extremely nice units, some even with adjustable flow through the cooler.

-10 is on the small side. Do you have the cooler and lines already? if not, I would suggest you step up to -12 sized lines.

Here are some pics of the C&R remote adapters, the moroso sandwich plate, the CV products thermostat.

24846efb9a3cab.jpg

24846efbb88f33.jpg

24846efbe58200.jpg

24846efc75f81c.jpg

What kind of project do you have there? Interested in learning some more about it :)

thanks

This is good stuff, exactly what I was hoping for. I am stuck with the -10 lines for now, already have the fittings, and hose to the Setrab cooler. My reason for looking at the remote filter is due to the Moroso kickout pan I have prohibits a larger filter with the sandwich adapter. Found that out the hard way after mounting up the mocal.

I have a 1972 coupe that I bought 10 years ago as a basket case, intended to build it as a step up from what I was racing at that time. Job related moves derailed all of that and the car was apart for a few years. I just got it back on the road as a driver last year again so I could enjoy it. Its has a 468BB, Richmond 5, your standard bolt on front suspension mods, 5 link rear (bought from redvetracr years ago),Toms diff,etc. Basically a hole that I throw money into, but its fun to have on the road again. I'll try and get more pics up to this site.

Thanks again for the info, I have some research to do.

Phil

Last edited:
What exactly, besides something else to go wrong, does an oil t-stat bring to the table?

My understanding is that oil tstat function ensures the oil reaches some minimum operating temp (160-180 degrees F) within the block and filter before allowing it to start flowing through the cooler. If you are running a heavier oil this is especially important since it is harder to push through the plumbing and cooler before it is up to temp.

I am sure there will me more detailed answers to come, but my .02.

Phil

We ran into the same problem, couldn't use the system 1 filter because of the kicked out sump and the moroso sandwich plate.

Been thinking about buying this:
Barnes #9011
adapters_9011.gif

Now that is a cool part. If I am understanding it correctly, this piece bolts to the block in place of the GM filter adapter. The filter then would be in a horizontal position, correct?

Phil