Water Mod to Gas Engines ( HHO )

Dirtbuster1

What is everyones feedback on the recent discussion on mixing water with gas. The water is converted to HHO. For say a 100 buck investment, how could you go wrong. Double your fuel mileage.

This should spark a lot of opionions, on a technology that seems to be 15 years old. Why hasn't this been used for years?

Huh? Are we talking about the old water injection some hot rodders ran in the early 70's?

I talked with a guy at Snow Performance about their methanol injection system when I was considering a roots blower. He said that you could use pure water instead of a 50 50 mix and it would still supress detonation, although not as well.

Water in itself does nothing for you but cooling your combustion chamber. As such it only has a purpose in boost engines that run close or at the detonation level.

Normally the H20 is injected together with methanol (water soluble) and as you know methanol has got some energy content. Mainly used in boost engines.

with gas getting more and more expensive people are desperate.... now is the time to sell "tornado" intake funnels, magnets for the fuel line and such....:lol::lol:

with gas getting more and more expensive people are desperate.... now is the time to sell "tornado" intake funnels, magnets for the fuel line and such....:lol::lol:

I think that all Crossfires have 2 of those things . Maybe that's the problem with them . :crylol:

The water is converted to HHO. That should be some type of Hydrogen gas. It could have some merit to it. It will only cost a tank of gas to try it. (100 bucks) That's the most you could lose.:stirpot:

Water is 2 parts of Hydrogen and 1 part Oxygen (HHO or more commonly H20).

But it will not mix with gasoline. Gasoline is 6.x pounds per gallon and water is 8 pounds per gallon. The gas will float on top. Even if you mix it, it will float to the top eventually. The only way I can think of to get it in there is thru an injection system.

WW II fighters and some of the bombers used water/methanol as JPhil said. And some of the commercial airlines did too. Under high boost conditions it was sprayed into the intake to prevent detonation- but remember- back then, aviation fuel was 145 octane too.

The beginning of the jet airplanes- the 707's and some of the early 747's also had water injection to get more thrust at high and hot airports. See the old movies with the jet leaving a black trail that looks like you could walk on it? Water burner. The airlines got away from the water because the engines got better, and every pound of water was one less pound of freight.

If tornado's are good for gas mileage, then everyone in the midwest should be getting really good this year.

It was used in airplanes because they needed boost to produce power at high altitude, plus the thin air did some strange things to combustion.

I would not bet on it to reduce you fuel usage, it can only do something when combined with boost. Plus methanol is expensive and its AFR is very different from gasoline, so you need more to produce the same power. Just using it in combustion will not let you seperate the H from the O. It will only vaporate into water because of the heat in the chamber (which was why they used it in the first place)

If you really want to reduce fuel consumtion you will have to reduce your afr ratio, but you will be walking a thin line with carbs...

If I wanted to get really inventive with reduce fuel usage, I would go to a sequential system and disengage certain cylinders at cruising...maybe even work with a ionsensing system to prevent detonation at an engine that turns at the limit.

My intent is to build a purpose built racecar sooner or later based on a Chevy sb and then i will start experimenting, just to see how far I can go. A supercharger will be one of the things I will certainly add.

As some of us may recall, NORVAL over from CF and later DC, one of his last projects was to use a wide band O2 sensor to tune his carbs for a much leaner mix under cruise conditions, and he claimed to damn nearly double his economy for doing so....went from 12-1 to something like 17-1 ratio....hell of a savings I"d say.....thing is that without a wide band O2 sensor, a mear 200 bux then the computer talent to reprogramme the computer for it, and relearn the cal map tables to run at 17-1 it's a whole lot of work.....all he basically did wat play with jetting, parts on hand, not some damn expensive programme full of problems and dot commmmmmmm difficulties.....

in my fight with this rough idle engine....it has boiled down to just a problem with the dirty injectors that acted intermittantly, and some bad spark plug boots that did the same damn dirty rat sneakey shit on me....:flash:

in the battle there, I had decided to change industion system last winter....
which ran the same at idle as the old L98, but I happy with the change anyway, as the L98 looked antiquated and I was tired of it and the complexities after some 14 years.....

:yahoo:

Water is used only to cool down the combustion chamber..... even in 1980's was use in Formula1 (specially by Ferrari) because of the turbos!
Remember that the first attempt to reduce the power of the engines was to limit the boost to 4 bar !!!!!
Can you imagine wath level of boost they used?
1500cc = 1200 Hp !!!!

Spraying water in the manifold will onlt reduce your power, because it will take the place of the gas/air mix.

Your engine can only inalate a certain volume.... and if you use a part of this volume with water, the net result will be less oxigen...... which means less power!

Anyway, of course, it will reduce the risk of detonation....... in two ways:

1) lower temperature
2) less air /fuel mix.... with the consequent lower average pressure in the chambers.

Just my opinion....

The test they did on myth busters proved it is possible but highly uneconomical. They used electricity to extract hydrogen out of water then used the hydrogen to run the motor. It worked, but you would need a huge amount of energy to extract enough Hydrogen fast enough to make the engine run for more than 15 seconds. Mixing water with fuel wont do anything but bog your motor (what does putting water on a fire do?).

BTW this is my first post. Hi everybody.

I save gas by using water on my Vette.......................I turn off the engine when washing the car.:quote: