L-79 cam

ok.... what's the cam specs, what engine are you going to run it in (350, 383, 396) ? compression ???

need a lil more info. :thumbs:

Let me give you what I know,, No I didn't say that? anyway 350 block, compression possible 9.16, cam,, cam lift .298,, valve lift .447,,lobe ctr, int 110, exh 118,, SEA duration 291,,.050 duration ,int 223, exh223,,, heads 2.02 75cc chambers, ported and polished ,, 2x4 edelbrock carbs on offenhauser intake Stock pistons ,, hooker headers,, was told this is a good combination.

With 64cc heads you'll bump the compression a bit, 9.1:1 is a little low. The valve lift isn't all that great either, I'd get 1.6 ratio rockers to increase the valve lift to .476" - your heads and springs should be good for the additional lift, check the paperwork to see if your valve springs can handle the lift.

With 64cc heads you'll bump the compression a bit, 9.1:1 is a little low. The valve lift isn't all that great either, I'd get 1.6 ratio rockers to increase the valve lift to .476" - your heads and springs should be good for the additional lift, check the paperwork to see if your valve springs can handle the lift.

The L-79 is one of the best ALL AROUND street cam ever. Have used them on over a 100 SBs. You can use stock springs -90lbs seat and rev to 7,000 rpm. Yes that is correct.
The factory L-79 is easy on guides and rockers. The factory listing is 350 hp for Corvette.
Just a plain and simple SWEET cam.:nuts:

The L-79 is one of the best ALL AROUND street cam ever. Have used them on over a 100 SBs. You can use stock springs -90lbs seat and rev to 7,000 rpm. Yes that is correct.
The factory L-79 is easy on guides and rockers. The factory listing is 350 hp for Corvette.

I'm not saying it's a bad cam but what CR did your SBs have and what heads did you use ? He's saying he's got 75cc heads, iron or aluminum ?? 9.1:1 seems a little low for a cam with advertised duration of 223/223, might be bleeding of too much compression and end up with too low dynamic CR.

I'm not saying it's a bad cam but what CR did your SBs have and what heads did you use ? He's saying he's got 75cc heads, iron or aluminum ?? 9.1:1 seems a little low for a cam with advertised duration of 223/223, might be bleeding of too much compression and end up with too low dynamic CR.

Have used the cam with 8.5 all the way up to 11.5. Of course the higher the compression the better. But, it CAN be used with the lower compression with good results. You usually can't go wrong with this cam.
Back in the 60's and early 70s a lot of the aftermarket cams- out there- were just slight varaions of this cam.

Last edited: