Rural high speed internet access?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Going to be moving to rural Kansa City (Missouri) in the near future. The house we bought is out in the boonies (no cable access), and I'm curious what are my options for decent internet access and speed. What's available?

Thanks,
Mike

A few years ago I was in the same boat- I had Directv and their Direcway Internet. I think Kevin has that same setup now. Works great unless there's a thunderstorm and the dish/lnb can't see thru the rain to the satellite..

Where are you moving to?? North side of town?

Going to be moving to rural Kansa City (Missouri) in the near future. The house we bought is out in the boonies (no cable access), and I'm curious what are my options for decent internet access and speed. What's available?

Thanks,
Mike

IF you can get decent cphone service there, you maybe check in with a company called clear wire....2.5 gigs off the cphone tower, and maybe they have coverage in your area....much better than any sat system...but the problem is.....line of site, is about totally necessary....as with sats, but the elevation is critical......I had spotty service with them for some time, allmost a year, but the damn trees grew their leaves in spring and shut it down allmost tight as whale pussy, and that's water proof....
it onlly cost some 20 bux/month too, that was super reasonable, and quick as cable, easy.....I need check in with them about getting better reception now as supposedly they were improving coverage....

:sos::sos::sos:

Thanks,
Mike

I'm in the Booniesin in NC. I have Bellsouth Broadband DSL. Talk to the phone company and see what they have. Goes through the phone line...it is NOT dialup.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm in the Booniesin in NC. I have Bellsouth Broadband DSL. Talk to the phone company and see what they have. Goes through the phone line...it is NOT dialup.

BUT there is a limit on how far you can be from the last fiber optic node .....

dunno what it is though.....ATT/Bellsouth is installing some crazy new high speed net stuff in our hood, and it's a new thing beyond DSL even....up to something like 3 megs.....phreaking fantastic how they can do that with a twisted pair....

guy across the street is into it pretty high up, when the crews have field troubles, HE gets the beep.....

:bonkers::yahoo:super Scotty....

I don't know mike what you will have as far as phone service,but i had to go with the sat,i'm using the Hugh's net sat service,no cable where i live either and old crappy phone lines.
As far as the sat service goes,yeah a storm can shut you down for a bit,but it has to be a damm big storm,and the speed,its fast real fast,faster than sytems i have used at some friends house over their high speed phone.
I upgraded my sat 2 years ago to where it sends and recieves over the sat,it use to recieve over the sat and send over a phone line. But now it smokes right along.

Kevin

Are you by smithville lake? i'm on the south side of the lake.

And BTW there Mike, we need to know where you'e going to be so we can make sure you don't have too much BEER in your fridge!! As strange as it may sound, Missouri does have limits on some things..

And BTW there Mike, we need to know where you'e going to be so we can make sure you don't have too much BEER in your fridge!! As strange as it may sound, Missouri does have limits on some things..

The welcome wagon wants to drop by and welcome you,and we want to drink your beer too :drink:

BUT there is a limit on how far you can be from the last fiber optic node .....

dunno what it is though.....ATT/Bellsouth is installing some crazy new high speed net stuff in our hood, and it's a new thing beyond DSL even....up to something like 3 megs.....phreaking fantastic how they can do that with a twisted pair....

guy across the street is into it pretty high up, when the crews have field troubles, HE gets the beep.....

:bonkers::yahoo:super Scotty....[/QUOTE]

Actually ATT has 6 mb as an option and have even gotten up to 10mb as yet another upgrade, on the twisted pair. Again as was said, depends on how far for FO node as to wheter you can get the higher speeds or not. I added both the DSL and UVerse.. dump comcrap...

I moved last month and I'm investigating net rural net service access. I'm told by some users that if you live next to one of those wireless towers you can recieve 10meg service. Supposedly they actually had to cut back speed for some people. It's a line of sight service. Some service starts at 2meg while some go much higher. Its about $40 a n month here.

I moved last month and I'm investigating net rural net service access. I'm told by some users that if you live next to one of those wireless towers you can recieve 10meg service. Supposedly they actually had to cut back speed for some people. It's a line of sight service. Some service starts at 2meg while some go much higher. Its about $40 a n month here.

YES, that's the Clearwire here in Florida.....think they merged with another outfit recently...Sprint?? not sure.....