C2 / C5Z06 project "Prodigy"

aussieross01

:thumbs:Hi Guys,

New on here. Think I'll feel more at home on this forum. Bored with original. love to design/modify, think outside the square and do something different.

Just completed "Prodigy" check her out on www.prodigy-z06.com
Took over 8,000 hours to finally finish her. Absolutely fabulous to drive, and sure gets some attention down here.
Not accepted so much with purists ( as you would expect ), but universally appreciated by hotrod folk who look at her for what she is, rather than what she should represent.

Now turning my attention to retro fitting a much modified '68 ragtop body on top of a 2008 C6 Z06.
An old hotrod '68 ragtop vette with a new generation 427, that's cool I reckon.
I purchased the tired old body from a guy up in Queensland, and purchased the salvage donor C6 Z06 from an insurance site "EasyExportus.com" over in the States. Car came from Tennesse, and is a '08 with 9k miles. Sustained a light rollover. and was perfect for my donor car.
Donor is currently being packed and loaded on a ship to be sent down here to me in Adelaide, South Australia.

Currently having some drawings done, and getting my designs down on paper.
Intend leaving the C6 Z06 platform unaltered. Plan on using just about everything from the donor car.
Body will need to be widened significantly to fit C6 frame.
Rear wheels will have to be pushed back towards rear of body. To compensate for this I'll dramatically radius the wheel arches, both front and rear, and build removable valances ( both front and rear) to balance the design:- check out the Prodigy site, and you'll get the picture, be much the same.

Essentially I intend to widen the birdcage to suit the C6 frame, and modify the body to suit the widened cage.
I'll have to get a custom made windscreen, and I've been quoted $2.5-$3.5k for this exercise down here.
I'll use the entire C6 floorpan, and modify the C6 boot tub to bond under the modified C3 body. I'll end up with a removable complete rear tub section, that bonds to the chassis as per original C6, and bond to the standard C3 rear door pillars.
I'm reckoning I'll need to widen the rear body about 10"-12", but I won't know for sure till it all gets here, and I start measuring up.
Plan on cutting the rear body parallel just inside the top lip, back to the bottom of the valley just in front of the duck tail, then straight across to the middle in this valley, then cut it straight back to between inside of the inner taillight, and the number plate surround.
A picture is worth a thousand words, so I guess I should post when I get to this point.
I also plan on installing 'bullits' behind the seats in a speedster theme. These bullits would be no higher than the C6 Z06 seats. Toying also with retaining the original C6 'hoop' behind the seats ( that supported the roof panel ), and making that a feature, a bit like the C2 Grandsport. Of course it needs to look aesthetically pleasing, so we'll explore this.

At the front, I'll use the standard plenum chamber, but widen it to suit the birdcage. That'll also mean I can use the standard C3 front bonding strips.
I'll use the standard C3 wiper linkage hooked up to the C6 wiper motor:- need to do this so it'll 'talk' to the BCM because I intend to use the C6 wiper controls, and indeed all C6 electronics.
The C3 plenem chamber will be grafted onto the lower C6 firewall, but of course I need to modfiy that for the Right Hand Drive conversion.

I'll make a tilt front for this car, that will be opened by linear actuators. I'd love to use the complete C6 headlight assembly, but we'll see how that looks in mockup. If this is not acceptable, I'll rip the innards out of the C6 lights and flush mount them in the original openings.
Using a std big block design hood, but splicing it and maker it higher. The whole car will look like Popeye after he's downed his spinach, so the hood needs to be more pronounced to reflect this.
Front will need to be widened about 8" I'm thinking. Again, can't be sure till we do the mockups.
The design will surely enhance the coke bottle shape:- that's for sure.

No chrome, or shiney bits on this car. Will be painted dark metallic grey, and all bumpers, brightwork will be powder coated a darker complimentary color.
Front valance ( removable, ala Prodigy ), will be deeper than stock C3, and reflect elements of design of both the C3 and C6.
Original C6 Z06 wheels powdercoated in this darker color
Same goes for rear valance, and I plan on using a similar design around the exhaust openings as the C6. I'm using the std C6 Z06 exhaust system.
This car will looked like it's dumped, but in fact it will retain std C6 susepnsion travel.
It will look wide and low, and have apparent C6 traits:- a bit like a C3 had sex with a C6 and this was the ba+#^d child.
Thinking of calling this one 'The Mongrel'

Well, s+^t, it floats my boat, anyhow!!!!

Now if this gets someone elses juices flowing:- well that's a good thing.
Like or hate my builds:- you've got to admit, at least they are different.

Ross

Ross -
Great words - and really paints a picture. Regarding the windscreen - suppose using a lexan - like Perry's Speedglass is on the no-no list in lieu of a "proper" windscreen. Seems a shame to drop that huge hunk of capital when an adequate substitute might be available.

Keep us posted It sounds fantastic. Bet the custom interior will be as awesome as on Prodigy!

Cheers - Jim

Ross -
Great words - and really paints a picture. Regarding the windscreen - suppose using a lexan - like Perry's Speedglass is on the no-no list in lieu of a "proper" windscreen. Seems a shame to drop that huge hunk of capital when an adequate substitute might be available.

Keep us posted It sounds fantastic. Bet the custom interior will be as awesome as on Prodigy!

Cheers - Jim

Thanks Jim,
Had not considered using lexan for windscreen. Ill do some research on this, but I suspect our motor transport department here would not be thrilled about this.
Yep, it's a big chunk of change for the custom screen, but this is still preferable to widening the doors like we did on prodigy. Man that was a bloody nightmare, building these doors
Rgds
Ross.