Contemplating C3 fixed headlights and removable covers

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
A thread from elsewhere got me thinking more seriously about something I've wanted to do for years. I'd love to take some weight off the front end by removing a bunch of the flip-up headlight hardware and actuators, and replacing them with fixed, inset headlights. But, I like the looks of the stock hidden headlights with the body colored covers. In my perfect world I'd have the lighter weight fixed lights but the covers would be easily removable for night driving. But so far I haven't figured out a decent way to keep the covers on without at least a couple fasteners showing. As usual, I'm looking for a stock appearance. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I could keep the covers securely fastened down but still allow a reasonably quick removal?

Thanks.

MY only comment is that anything other than GLASS looks like crap in a short while....

so it's open GLASS headlamps, or die.....

:hissyfit::clobbered:

MY only comment is that anything other than GLASS looks like crap in a short while....

That's not my question, Gene. I'm trying to figure out how to secure painted aluminum covers over the headlights, and making them easy to remove when it gets dark.

Magnets! I have a client that uses them to attach covers on to medical equipment, it works great. Use the rare earth ones.

The problem might be getting them off since they are flush. Like a door with no handle!

Magnets! I have a client that uses them to attach covers on to medical equipment, it works great. Use the rare earth ones.

The problem might be getting them off since they are flush. Like a door with no handle!

Ill build off this idea then... Electro magnets?

That's not my question, Gene. I'm trying to figure out how to secure painted aluminum covers over the headlights, and making them easy to remove when it gets dark.

Oh, ok, my reason for going the sugar scoop route was that back in '98 here I hit a damn deer at night....took out both the lights, busted the doors and U brackets but BAD.....now what I found when playing with them was the doors had some tabs on the sides, and I played with using them as a pivot point, and doing some other actuator, but those tabs off the lids could be used in some maybe snap/clip arrangement....

:amazed:

Why not make the support brackets from alu? It wont be as light as fixed lights but you still retain the pop up feature.

Or do the l88s with hella 90s. I have a template for a cover mount if you need it. Was going to use it for a lexan cover

If the front of the light cover was tabbed into a slot, the back could be held with any number of magnetic latches. Here are some from a woodworkers supply. There is a very cool hidden or blind magnet key used for child proof drawers as well as bump latches where a sharp short hit springs the 'door' open an inch for a pull away release.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/Search.aspx?action=n

If the front of the light cover was tabbed into a slot, the back could be held with any number of magnetic latches. Here are some from a woodworkers supply. There is a very cool hidden or blind magnet key used for child proof drawers as well as bump latches where a sharp short hit springs the 'door' open an inch for a pull away release.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/Search.aspx?action=n

I agree with the slot idea. I was just lost trying to figure out what to do with the other (rearward) side so that the covers wouldn't fly off during a track day. I need to put a pressure gauge behind the grills this summer to see what the net force would be on the cover area. The covers would be aluminum, so any magnets would have to be affixed in there somehow.

I'm thinking about those mechanism you find in some kitchen cabinet door, it's basically a small ball on a stud that goes in some kind of jaws, press once and the ball get trapped, press another time and it's released.
No magnet, they need a firm press to open, thus safer.