clutch replacement in driveway - sux !!

MYBAD79

ok, in a moment of mental weakness I decided that swapping a clutch in the driveway is no big deal ..... well, I got it done but it took longer and was more work than I thought :banghead::banghead:

the release bering was making awful noises so it was time.......got all this stuff taken apart yesterday, there's nothing better than spending time under a car soaking in oil and grease on a friday

photo_zps0dd9fee9.jpg
the rear main seal was slightly leaking .... LOL

photo_zps5f2619c8.jpg

after wrestling with the tranny under the car I welded up some scrapmetal and built a tranny jack

photo_zps22109209.jpg

awesome when something actually works

.photo_zps3d9df213.jpg

cleaned up ... took some time, heavy duty degreaser and a brush.....

photo_zps0407e3c7.jpg
fixed the rms leak, installed a new Auto Zone clutch, new release bearing, new clutch cable adjuster and damn..... better than new...... just took it out for a test drive tonight and it seems all the work paid off.....

The problem has been circled for you, look on the front of the car :D

Looks like a not so fun job!

That drives me nuts working under a car like that. Dirt falling in your face. I sed to work on my rusty POS out in the street in college. I can't imagine doing that these days.

Second to working under a car is working under the dash laying on your back with your head crushed against the brake pedal. I just did that on my truck. :suicide:

That drives me nuts working under a car like that. Dirt falling in your face. I sed to work on my rusty POS out in the street in college. I can't imagine doing that these days.

Second to working under a car is working under the dash laying on your back with your head crushed against the brake pedal. I just did that on my truck. :suicide:

funny you say that... once I was done installing the new clutch and the tranny and the driveshaft and exhaust I changed into clean cloth, removed the seat and replaced the clutch cable quadrant under the dash :lol::lol:

yeah those rear crank oil seals always leak.
I remember doing this, did you change the little rear crankshaft bearing?

the bearing was fortunately fine... couldn't get it out, don't have a puller that fit in there to grab the bearing.

yeah those rear crank oil seals always leak.
I remember doing this, did you change the little rear crankshaft bearing?

the bearing was fortunately fine... couldn't get it out, don't have a puller that fit in there to grab the bearing.

Dont need a puller, I took mine out using wet paper and a 12mm or 14 mm socket I dont remember , whatever fits in the hole.
put the paper in water, let it soak, then stuff it in the hole, lightly compress it with the socket and a hammer, put some more and eventualy, it comes out.
real easy.
Theres other methods, using grease or even bread lol instead of wet paper but too messy, wet paper works like magic and it's clean.

Last edited:
I actually tried that - used grease and a socket. Maybe I didn't hit it hard enough but the bearing did not move.
I have a slide hammer but nothing that I could use to grab the bearing.
Since it was in good shape I just left it in - if it was bad I would have welded some kind of hook to the slide hammer.... glad I didn't have to, it was painful enough under the car....

Day 4 with the new clutch.... damn, it is like a whole new car :)

I believe the previous owner installed a "performance" pressure plate, the clutch was very hard to press... now with all that torque from the 2.3L 4 banger it really needs a upgraded clutch .... not .....

:lol: :lol:

How to remove a pilot bearing
002-1.jpg

I bought a tap from harbor freight and threaded the lip.... grease forced it out :thumbs:

I did not try very hard because the bearing was still in good shape, if it was bad I would have tried harder. That grease nipple looks like a great idea :D

There are more issues and leaks on this engine, I know that unless I sell the car I will be pulling the engine at some point.... need to fix the annoying leaks on the pan and the front seal..... at that point I'll probably throw new bearings at the crank.... now, a buddy has a short block from a late 80's 2.3 turbo that he wants to sell...... LOL

isn't this a great hobby ?

I did not try very hard because the bearing was still in good shape, if it was bad I would have tried harder. That grease nipple looks like a great idea :D

There are more issues and leaks on this engine, I know that unless I sell the car I will be pulling the engine at some point.... need to fix the annoying leaks on the pan and the front seal..... at that point I'll probably throw new bearings at the crank.... now, a buddy has a short block from a late 80's 2.3 turbo that he wants to sell...... LOL

isn't this a great hobby ?

The 2.3 turbo would be very cool. Tons of them around, big HP, cheap and reliable.

Lost the race against the day's rain, this AM working on the alternator on my wife's car, it's in, mechanically, but 50000000000 plugs/wires, fuel lines and all the rest of it has to be reconnected......fucking miserable POS FWD cars, hate them.....:tth::crutches: