82 - Replace turn signal cancelling cam...

Luster

Compulsively Anal
I know there is a "compression" type tool to pull the steering wheel components in the late C3's. (Not the wheel itself, but to get to the cancelling cam.)

It's not a standard steering wheel puller.

What is it called and where do I get one?

Also, if anyone has done this, any tips or instructions?

A slide hammer works fine, all you need to do is secure it to the steering hub to pull it off.

It's not that bad a job, just make sure you carefully remove everything so you know how it goes back together. The biggest PITA is to get the new wires with teh connector though the column.

The best tip I can give you is, remove the column from the car. It's a PITA job but doing it in the car makes it frustrating.

Oh that! I made one myself. just used a bolt that goes into the shaft (don't know what size it was) and welded on a much larger threaded end and bent up a U shaped strip of steel. Works like a champ. No need to buy stuff.

Oh that! I made one myself. just used a bolt that goes into the shaft (don't know what size it was) and welded on a much larger threaded end and bent up a U shaped strip of steel. Works like a champ. No need to buy stuff.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I always get mine from AutoZone. You can remove the clip with a screwdriver.
You only ned the tool to install the clip. You will need to take a 3/8" bolt and cut it to fit between the tool and the telescoping part. This will lock the shaft were you can reinstall. You will understand this when reinstalling.

My pleasure.
Now, if your steering wheel is sloppy on a T/T column, that is a WHOLE 'nother animal. You have to remove it, and dis-assemble it ALL the way apart to fix it. Been there,done that, got those pictures too.:twitch: