Anyone have pictures of your engine dollies?

JeffP1167

I need to move my engine/trans and want a dolly to do so. Guess I would need to mount wheels instead of the small casters.

Does anyone know the full weight of a 90 vette engine fully dressed with the transmission still attached?

Would 1200lbs be a fair guess? Basically as the motor is seen in the car with every possible thing still attached.

bought this $40 dolley from Summit, cut it apart, raised it and welded an extension on there so it would support the trans as well.....got the square tubing and angle iron from HomeDepot....

IM004302Small.jpg
IM004303Small.jpg

bought this $40 dolley from Summit, cut it apart, raised it and welded an extension on there so it would support the trans as well.....got the square tubing and angle iron from HomeDepot....

IM004302Small.jpg
IM004303Small.jpg

Nice design, that is what I am thinking about but with larger tires for movement of rough surface. I also want to make it so it is closer to the ground as well.

I think 1200lbs is a little high.............

Here are some pix of my BB with a TKO mounted on a hillbilly roll around, works perfect!

450e9f866e9c4c.jpg

450e9f86675a52.jpg

Nice design, that is what I am thinking about but with larger tires for movement of rough surface. I also want to make it so it is closer to the ground as well.

yeah, that design was a little "tall" - I redesigned it a few months later and now it sits lower and only holds the old L48 out of my '79.....

here's another cheap engine stand.... won't work with a V8 though....LOL

54BF-4B87-A9AD-CA84B3765D80-36593-000021F00A911AF5.jpg

I believe I welded casters on to this frame to move it around the garage

00000095.jpg

00000135.jpg

with the trans and a support at the tail end

10000280.jpg

Last edited:
L o n g time ago some movers left a furniture dolly behind on one of my house renovations......put the snatch to THAT really quick, solid hard rock maple and GREAT ~3" diameter wheels on bearing pivots, that thing could haul a grand piano......needless to say it has saved my ass many a time.....

even I don't believe how I have mistreated that thing.....

:lol:

Here's one I built to carry a spare race engine. In my case the two uprights pick up on installed motor mounts and the rear engine plate bolts to the lip. This is for a long heavy six cylinder motor but the same idea could be adapted with the flange picking up something up front and the trans mount near the top.

Might be a bit too much weight though for hand trucking mode....

Foldingcarttohaulspareengine.jpg