this is the most difficult

Belgian1979vette

I'm in the process of choosing my paint. I was always convinced I would have gone back to my original silver, but lately a lot of people including most of all my wife try to convince me to go to candy red or candy blue. Anyone out there with this color on his vette ?

Not red, it'll make it another resale red car.

Get something that no one else has, maybe a modern C5 color or something.

Painting it a color your wife agrees with can go a long way. It's YOUR car. Paint it what YOU like. Color is a personal thing. If you HATE green, and paint it green because 80% of people say so, you won't like it.

Choosing a color or color scheme is something that usually takes me months
to settle on. But when I do, I'm always satisfied with the results.

I painted a truck I had Yellow, Blue, & White. There are 100 different shades of
Yellow and some look good some don't. I would ride around car lots on my spare time
looking at yellow cars and trucks. Then I would look at the same cars at night
under the street lights. The Yellow on the Vettes looked washed out at night
but the "Chrome" Yellow on the Mustangs looked as good if not better under
street lights than in the day.........so I went with it. Then I found a Blue that
went real well with the Yellow......just happened to be a Corvette Blue.

I NOT saying paint the car Yellow..........but saying to look at vehicles in day light
and at night till you see the one you like and then get the Color Code off that
vehicle. This is far better than looking at paint chips and photos which can
be too misleading.

We had a "IMRON" Flame Red Trans Am that looked Bright Orange under street lights.

As for Blues.........Toyota has a new color that is very popular here....called
"Speedway Blue". Don't remember the Code right at the moment.
We're planning to paint the son's ski boat this color.
I describe it as a Light Saber Blue.

Candies, well when it comes to the moment to retouch a scratch or worse. You'll think really twice of painting candies, almost impossible to match,, because they are whats called batch paints,, no one is the same :: because of the metal flake size and color. even pearls can be a nightmare.. Well. there is $.04 for you to think about. another point,,, Darker colors shows all body imperfections, lighter colors mellow in body imperfections,, darker color bring out all contours.

Last edited:
Nobody here can tell you what you like, however, have a look at the C5 'medium spiral grey' - it's great color, close to the old steel city grey. Have a look at my gallery if you want to see blue, it's C5 LeMansBlue with blue metal flakes.

My first choice was yellow but then I decided I want something unique, thought about bright orange and medium spiral grey... then decided on blue :sweat::sos:

If your car is a "driver"... think about touch-ups. I drive mine 300-400 miles per week and I get 1 or 2 new chips every week.

Solids are MUCH easier to touch up than metallics or candies. But they don't have that PUNCH! :D

That candy blue is pretty much impossible to repair.... you'll have to paint at least the entire side of the car. Another "problem" is that you cannot paint the doors and hood off the car... these parts have to be installed and sprayed while walking down the length of the car.... well, it sure looks good.... :thumbs:

That candy blue is pretty much impossible to repair.... you'll have to paint at least the entire side of the car. Another "problem" is that you cannot paint the doors and hood off the car... these parts have to be installed and sprayed while walking down the length of the car.... well, it sure looks good.... :thumbs:

The beauty in depth and glimmer of a candy paint job simply cannot be captured in a picture. You have to be there looking at it in the sun.

I have a HOK video on how to repair candy paint. It can be done.