CAI for the '84

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Amongst other things, I'm kicking around doing a different CAI setup for the '84. I presently have a cowl induction setup on it, and while it seems to work okay, I have to think that the laid back C4 windshield (compared to the '69) has to be affecting the efficiency (ie: pressure buildup) of this system. So, I'm kicking around getting the air from the radiator plenum. The concept is simple, but the difficulty is radiator to hood clearance and materials choice. I'm starting out with a swap meet C5 part below.

IM002180.jpg

I may eventually have to do some cutting of the underhood structure to clear this, but meanwhile I'm going to try to change the contour of the air bridge by heating and reshaping the bottom edge so that I can make it sit a little lower/flatter. Another thing is I need some sort of 45* elbow (3.5" OD) to attach to the front of the bridge to be the "snorkle" that directs some air out of the plenum.
I think the easy part will be the tube that runs from the bridge back to the airbox.

Seeburg Muffler in NKC has 3-1/2 exhaust tube. Won't be very lightweight, but you're not working on cutting weight on this car?

Now you have one it, he wil be obsessing about weight on 2 cars.. :sweat:

why not just use a 90-up dual cooling fan capsule. This way radiator is raked back and air filter already setup for a over the radiator pickup tube.

Plus end up with a better cooling system

1990vette8.jpg

I'm starting out with a swap meet C5 part below.

I may eventually have to do some cutting of the underhood structure to clear this, but meanwhile I'm going to try to change the contour of the air bridge by heating and reshaping the bottom edge so that I can make it sit a little lower/flatter. Another thing is I need some sort of 45* elbow (3.5" OD) to attach to the front of the bridge to be the "snorkle" that directs some air out of the plenum.
I think the easy part will be the tube that runs from the bridge back to the airbox.

That C5 air bridge is probably a polypropylene blow molded part. If it is, it will take a whole lot of heat (~400F) to soften it and it will try to return to the molded shape unless held in position.

There should be a triangular re-cycling mold mark on it somewhere. Below it will be a material designator (PP for polypropylene).

Now you have one it, he wil be obsessing about weight on 2 cars.. :sweat:

I haven't had this car on a scale in several years, but I'm interested in getting whatever excess weight I can out of this car too. So far the bigger weight loss stuff has been the heads, the new hood, the lighter & relocated battery, and the manual seat brackets. My track exhaust system (3.5" single tube, with a 4" system waiting on the shelf) is 30# lighter than the stock twin muffler setup. The turbo keeps the pressure/noise pulses down enough that the track system in fine at the track, but a bit too loud for driving in town.

I'm looking at a couple other items to reduce weight, but there doesn't appear to be as much "low hanging fruit" on the '84 as there was on the '69.

why not just use a 90-up dual cooling fan capsule. This way radiator is raked back and air filter already setup for a over the radiator pickup tube.

1990vette8.jpg

I've got a somewhat new DeWitt radiator in the car, so I'm inclined to keep the current (well performing) cooling system.

I'm curious if the air bridge in the picture would fit better than the C5 unit I have. Can you give me a few dimensional measurements of that?

1990vette8.jpg

I've got a somewhat new DeWitt radiator in the car, so I'm inclined to keep the current (well performing) cooling system.

I'm curious if the air bridge in the picture would fit better than the C5 unit I have. Can you give me a few dimensional measurements of that?

Being your radiator sits pretty much verticle doubt a 90-up one would work. The 85-89 vette one might be better adaptable though.

On mine it is contoured to the rake of the cooling capsule and then the entire air filter assembly bolts to the front of the cooling capsule.