Speedometer Gear Installation

Dirtbuster1

Is there a trick to installing the speedometer gear. I have installed 2 now, and I can't get them seated properly. It is a pain to get to on a 82. When installing the gear I rotated the driveshaft. The gear seems to turn, but doesn't align properly. I even removed the tail housing hoping I could do it that way. That didn't look like an option after removing the housing.

I need to get this fixed where I can reset my IAC motors.

I don;t get what you mean, do you have the proper drive & driven gear? it's just a matter of sticking in the gear, putting the drive adapter back on and buttoning the wholke deal up.

I changed the original gear housing because it was plastic & it broke. I bought the housing and a new 42T gear. Installed the gear and for some reason it got cocked & stripped out. I reinstalled the old one it lasted 1 mile. Removed it yesterday and the shaft actually broke at the gear. The gear itself was fine & seated properly. I ordered 2 more just to be safe.

I would not worry about it if the speed sensor wasn't an issue with the ECM & the IAC motors. Should have them by Friday. I found by removing the exhaust I have better access to the transmission. Hopefully now that I have better access to the transmission tail housing, all will go well.

Thanks

The original housing is aluminium. Buddy of mine had a plastic one in there and it was leaking because it was cracked. His ate driven gears at a rate of 1 a month, replaced with alu housing and it's been fine ever since.

The cruise control transducer is ok. The cable from the cruise control to the speedometer was fine until I broke it with a drill. I was trying to set the IAC motors.

Anyway I fiqured out to today how I will install the gear when it arrives. I am going to seat the gear in the transmission first. Then I will install the gear housing 2nd. I will then rotate the rear wheels to make sure that nothings binding. Hopefully I then can put this problem behind me. I am also installing 2 new cables.

Thanks for the input.

Speedometer problem is gone. Drove the car for about 20 miles and everything is still working. The speed seems it's reading a little fast, but I know it is the correct gear. I probably need to check tire sizes & count the revs on the diff to make sure that nothing has been changed prior to my purchase. If thats not the problem maybe I need to calibrate the speedometer.