71 tear down. Something does not add up. Warning....... New guy.

Nosdrawyaw

So I have a 71 coupe. I am in the process of tearing it down for a resto mod. So one of the first things I did was buy an assembly manual. Things I have noticed so far. None of my wire harnesses have the fiber optics. The lights all have the fiber optic connections. However the console does not.
The seat belts attach differently from what is in the assembly manual. I have 2 retractors one on the rear wheel well and one under the seat instead of a non retractable belt on the base of the bird cage. I also have seat belt guides on the floor that are not shown in the assembly manual. The seat rails also seem to be longer. The car does not appear to have been wrecked. My Dad was the second owner. he bought it in the late 70s. The car has set 20+ years. Anyone have any ideas?

This sound like the setup in my '76.
Maybe original owner felt the need of a upgrade.
Floorpans are fiberglass right?

So I have a 71 coupe. I am in the process of tearing it down for a resto mod. So one of the first things I did was buy an assembly manual. Things I have noticed so far. None of my wire harnesses have the fiber optics. The lights all have the fiber optic connections. However the console does not.
The seat belts attach differently from what is in the assembly manual. I have 2 retractors one on the rear wheel well and one under the seat instead of a non retractable belt on the base of the bird cage. I also have seat belt guides on the floor that are not shown in the assembly manual. The seat rails also seem to be longer. The car does not appear to have been wrecked. My Dad was the second owner. he bought it in the late 70s. The car has set 20+ years. Anyone have any ideas?

That fiberoptic stuff tuned to dust pretty quick. I think shoulder belts were an option in 71. It's probably been updated.

Is it common to find updated floor pans or should I be looking for major repairs?

Birdcage is a bitch,
You will see more of it once the interior is out.
Sometimes , what at first look like a little rust damages like this

1804e9f807fc0cf3.jpg
1804e9f807fa672a.jpg
could be much worse after close inspection.

BUT it can be redone .
1804f359a824bfbe.jpg

There is a man on here that is doing an OUTSTANDING job of restoring a shark, rebuilding such destruction as to be judged not possible here in USA, but he is in Europe somewhere, and the work is well beyond anything possible from most guys......wish I could remember the fellow's handle ....sorry....

maybe TT can help on that....???:D:ghost: