Temp drops over time.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
So lets assume two things, no wind or much air movement.....

and Accurate measurements to a spot....on the car, engine oil pan to auto tranny pan, diffy case, radiator....

how much temp drop can be expected in say 85F air temp over say 20 minits time...??? Keep in mind it's metal and liquid to air heat dissipation...I thinking about...

:beer:

what temperature is the part?

in your calculations, as air isn't moving, we use air as an insulator in windows - so stuff doesn't lose that much heat when it's sitting in still air (read, trapped air). if the car is outside, heat rises to cold, so even if the air itself isn't moving, convection will cause the air to move around the motor - of course, the huge variable is how trapped the air is.

what temperature is the part?

in your calculations, as air isn't moving, we use air as an insulator in windows - so stuff doesn't lose that much heat when it's sitting in still air (read, trapped air). if the car is outside, heat rises to cold, so even if the air itself isn't moving, convection will cause the air to move around the motor - of course, the huge variable is how trapped the air is.

Yeh, too hard to say really, just the cooler in the vette kept the trans pan at 136f which is not too bad, converter was 160f though.... engine running at full 195 and fans cycling....so not too awful evil....
but car sat for maybe 20 minits before I could get to measure it....

;)

20 minutes is quite a bit of time; but you're so far off the 'max' on transmission temps that it were it me, I wouldn't worry (225)

20 minutes is quite a bit of time; but you're so far off the 'max' on transmission temps that it were it me, I wouldn't worry (225)

Yeh, I agree, too boot it's running through the engine radiator first I just maybe take it outta there....and run just the cooler itself....

:drink:

Yeh, I agree, too boot it's running through the engine radiator first I just maybe take it outta there....and run just the cooler itself....

that's how I do it (except, of course, this Corvette where I'm 99% there with all the parts to convert to a 4 speed - so I couldn't care less about the transmission).

that said, there is quite a bit of pros and cons to whether or not to run the cooler with or without the radiator line.
the argument for goes like this - a transmission needs to be within a heat range, so the radiator's warm water helps it stay at proper operating temps.... I don't buy it, but then again, I've never had a problem with getting the transmission warm as I run loose converters.

that's how I do it (except, of course, this Corvette where I'm 99% there with all the parts to convert to a 4 speed - so I couldn't care less about the transmission).

that said, there is quite a bit of pros and cons to whether or not to run the cooler with or without the radiator line.
the argument for goes like this - a transmission needs to be within a heat range, so the radiator's warm water helps it stay at proper operating temps.... I don't buy it, but then again, I've never had a problem with getting the transmission warm as I run loose converters.

Over the decades, I have always loved the cold slam shift available from a Trans GO modified GM automatic....400 up through 200 4r and 700r4.....funny thing is, the COLDER they are like northern winters, or early starts, they slammed really GOOD, but down here in FLORIDA not so much, and I can't understand why....mystery.....

so my goal is to keep these guys cold as ice....run that SOB at 30f if I could.....

IF I survive another transmission project there on a A518 Chrysler, I may be able to play with the vette again.....this 518 is literally killing my ass....

:gurney::gurney::ill::blush:

DOn't forget that torque convertors slip by design- even the new lockup convertors slip unless they're in the lockup mode. And even then, the fluid is still running thru the guts of the thing being redirected thru the vanes and stator and that's going to generate a little heat too.