Muncie Linkage

68L71

I have a linkage rebuild kit for my 68 from paragon. I was going to replace the wear parts on my linkage but I ran into a surprise. The rods in the kit were shorter than the old ones and the leavers were different. The rods were in the lower hole of the leavers. Also the 3rd, 4th gear has a bolt with a shoulder. Is this possibly an old short throw setup? It is the only Muncie 4speed I have driven so I do not know how the stock shifter should be. The reverse lock out it is functional.

Last edited:
I will have to get under it to see what the casting number is. My car was built on March 22 and the trans is the original (numbers matching). I ordered that same kit from paragon. The leavers were shorter but still had two holes. The rods are in the lower holes. Why do the leavers have two holes?

I will have to get under it to see what the casting number is. My car was built on March 22 and the trans is the original (numbers matching). I ordered that same kit from paragon. The leavers were shorter but still had two holes. The rods are in the lower holes. Why do the leavers have two holes?

like gears, it changes the toss ratio...long toss, easier, short toss harder....

ME, I allways liked it for short toss, and keeping the thing well greased when I got it, it was dry as a bone.....

but ti's been an auto now for some 11.5 years .....

:twitch:

I figured that's why there were two holes but I never read anything that mentioned setting up the stock shift in a shorter throw configuration. Still not sure why my leavers are shorter than the replacement ones…I guess it makes no difference as it seems to be working.

I figured that's why there were two holes but I never read anything that mentioned setting up the stock shift in a shorter throw configuration. Still not sure why my leavers are shorter than the replacement ones…I guess it makes no difference as it seems to be working.

well, if you look at the way the thing works...you MAY find the lever is further forward with longer levers, and I dunno if there is enough adjustment in there to effectively shorten them down enough to more or less center the lever in the console plate....there is another rub...if these console plates are not located properly, you can take the lever into the bezel, and cause some damage there denting the casting....

:devil:

Ever solve your problem?

One of the 68 shift rods (the 3- 4 shift rod?) is of different length than the 69 and up rods. Also, the levers on the transmission are different on the 68. When I updated/renewed my shifter and rods on my 68, someone sent me the hardware for the 69 and up. The folks at Volunteer Vette got me back on the road.

I just used the new pins from the kit and my old linkage…seems to be working great. Looking at a 69 setup it looks much different than the kit TT posted a link to, which is the one I have.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=2072410
In this picture of a 69 setup Howard is selling the 1-2 and 3-4 rods look straight. The rods in the kit I have are very similar to the ones on my car, just shorter and smaller diameter.