Head Gasket Size?

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
I'm ordering my over haul kit. I read some information on gasket size.. Present stock size is .051 thickness, which gives a compression of 8.61,, Is it recommended that putting in a thinner head gasket ,, a Fel Pro .024 ,, this would raise the compression to 9.16 according to the technical data I was reading.. By raising the compression ,, how much of a horse power gain is there? What is the gain factor over all? Has any one done this mod in the past?

Take a look at some of the calculators for "dynamic compression ratio". This put your cam into the mix and is a more accurate assessment of your compression ratio. As far as gasket thickness, look at information on quench. A good quench distance will tell you your ideal gasket thickness.

a thinner gasket will be less compliant to make up for any surface irregularities.

i'd get both the head and block suraces milled just enough to get them perfectly flat.

or maybe the block more if you believe in that quench stuff. Hemi's have no quench and run just fine.

Thanks for the site info.. Wrong size gasket ending with 10.1 comopression $ 8.00 a gallon for AVI gas , no way!!