fan

Run an electric fan and forget all about it.

Gotta agree here. A mechanical fan at that speed would be dangerous, not to mention worthless. Above 30 MPH or so, the fan does squat.

i'm gonna offer a differing opinion here. If you're talking about a normal passenger car with a large frontal cross section i would agree. The C3 needs some assistance from the fan at medium and highway speeds. That's why they put that big honking fan clutch in. It provides more torque throughout the RPM range.

The fan will never get to 7k due to fan clutch slippage and it slips more at higher rpm due to the silicone being forced to the outer edge of the clutch.

Last edited:
That means that the fan will never turn that high of an rpm because of slippage ?

A new alu rad with electric fans maybe an option but not right now.

No need for an alu rad, just us it on your existing one. A spal fan is around 200 Euros, even less at some shops. Very easy to mount by using the pins you stick through the rad (optional) or with some simple brackets welded to the upper and lower support channles (they're steel)

24836af8fe4e69.jpg

Super clean looking, easily thermostatically controlled from the cyl. head, relay switched, running off the alternator lug with an inline fuse.

i'm gonna offer a differing opinion here. If you're talking about a normal passenger car with a large frontal cross section i would agree. The C3 needs some assistance from the fan at medium and highway speeds. That's why they put that big honking fan clutch in. It provides more torque throughout the RPM range.

A C-3 fan clutch is thermostically controlled. GM installed these on all cars for purely milage gains.

No need for an alu rad, just us it on your existing one. A spal fan is around 200 Euros, even less at some shops. Very easy to mount by using the pins you stick through the rad (optional) or with some simple brackets welded to the upper and lower support channles (they're steel)

24836af8fe4e69.jpg

Super clean looking, easily thermostatically controlled from the cyl. head, relay switched, running off the alternator lug with an inline fuse.

MY only problem with that above install is that the fan pulls air only from i'ts own pattern, and not from the whole rad core.....I suspect reduced effectiveness from that situation...

:banghead:

mAYBE NOT OPTIMAL, BUT IF THAT FAN RUNS 2500 FT/MINUTE OR BETTER AND THE RADIATOR IS CLEAN IT SHOULD WORK FINE.
oops. didn't mean to yell.
Like posted above, at highway speed the fan isn't doing much anyways. All the radiator to mount and hood seals still need to be good.
All that said, dual 12" fans would be better than 1 12.

It's not 12" it's a 16" fan. Agreed, the fan would work better with a shroud so it pulls from the entire core, however there was no room for that. This will do just fine. The rad is completely sealed, the bottom of the rad frame is custom made and scoops up air from below (unlike the stock one), this should cool plenty.