I need you opinions on this cv joint issue on my 2000 windstar

JeffP1167

these were replaced about 10k miles ago. about 1k miles ago I started noticing a vibration shaking on take-off. I jacked the van up and noticed the whole cv joint shaft is all rusted and this rust continues where the cv joint passes through the wheel bearing.

However the drivers side is still painted in these areas.

also idling the van in drive for say 15-30 minutes this shaft got pretty warm to the touch.

Could this cv joint be getting hot enough to burn the paint of itself?

its never been in salt either so that isnt the problem.

Are you saying the CV joint is getting hot while stationary? Or are you idling around your neighborhood? Kind of puzzling. I guess the real test is to jack up the wheel in question and see if you get noticeable rocking back and forth.

Idling with front jacked up in gear

Here is the drivers side cv shaft. Both were replaced at same time

cvjoint001.jpg

cvjoint007.jpg

cvjoint008.jpg

However look at the passenger side shaft, the exhaust is probably about a good 8 inches away from this so I doubt that is the cause or closer suspension parts would react even worse.

cvjoint005.jpg

cvjoint002.jpg

cvjoint003.jpg

wow, that is weird..... if it wasn't for the rust on the outboard side of the rubber boot I'd ask if there's brake fluid dripping on the shaft....

I am curious how it looks under the boot.... I'd take it apart and look.....

wow, that is weird..... if it wasn't for the rust on the outboard side of the rubber boot I'd ask if there's brake fluid dripping on the shaft....

I am curious how it looks under the boot.... I'd take it apart and look.....

Nothing dripping on it

Should have mentioned at the time these cv joints were replaced both front wheel bearings were done and a complete brake overhaul. Van has about 88k miles on it.

I changed it all so they were both done.