Note from my son.....HELP@!!!

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Hey guys,
I'm sitting here looking at options to put a 5-speed into the truck. The T5 is by far the cheapest 5-speed I'm finding. Most of the other ones, like the T56 (actually a 6 speed) NV4500 etc are godawful expensive. The T5 is only rated to 300 ft-lbs, though, and the engine I'm using is, depending on which truck it came in, rated at up to 305 ft-lbs.
I'm guessing that the trans would survive daily driving OK, maybe, but would die a noisy death if I drove it hard.
Sound about right?
I keep waffling on which way to go with the gearbox, auto or manual, which manual, etc... seems like whichever way I go it won't likely be cheap or particularly easy.

Any advice, or better yet a decent 5 speed for him???.....

:thumbs: the truck is a '57 chebby pickup the engine is a 4.8? LS engine....complete with computer....

Ebay prices are 1500 + bux, I can say that's not happening....so T5 it is....I guess....

honestly, I suspect that since this truck is his g/f's and came from her father/grandfather, they need keep costs down and so Tom only paid like 500 for the engine, delivered....from here in P'cola Fl. to Berzerkly Ca. ...

:clobbered:

get a t56 and be done with it, good deals are out there

:shocking: What sort of car does a T56 come out of???

93- Camaro
93 or 4 up Mustang
Dodge Viper
Chevrolet Corvette - C4 is the better option as it's in the right spot with the right bellhousing
2004-6 GTO

C4 never used a T56, after the 4+3 they used the ZF S6-40

C4/6 T56 = transaxle, can't be used

Get one from an LS car like a GTO or F body. The GTO will have a funky clutch line shifter, can easily replace throwout with a F body one w/ quick disconnect. The shifter on the GTO is offset to the back too, might require F body shifter &!!! shifter cup if you need the shifter in the F body spot

hp & tq is never what killed the T-5 ... it was always the powershifting from 1st to 2nd that killed them fast. As long as you don't do that it will last for a long time.

hp & tq is never what killed the T-5 ... it was always the powershifting from 1st to 2nd that killed them fast. As long as you don't do that it will last for a long time.
All broken T5 I've seen ate their 3rd gear. it might be more 2-3 powershifts.

16554e7e858b2340c.jpg