Jeep box install question...

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
Pretty much got my Jeep box install wrapped up this afternoon but have just a little question for those who've already done it.

I torqued up the pitman arm to 185 ft/lb but there was still splines visible above the pitman arm, as you can see in the pic. After 185 ft/lb, I'm assuming this is normal, but just wanted to check...

354833169ae2df3.jpg

I had one made using the back of the splined jeep arm, added too the length to change the ratio some. Paid dearly for it... You might want to measure the depth and compare it to the corvette's. The GM arm I ordered, must have been made in China,, the splines matched but the taper was way off. Had very little depth. It would have failed.

That's my original 82 pitman arm on a Jeep box I bought from Tom Reina at Corvette Steering. He re-splines the box shaft to take an unmodified Corvette pitman arm.
You can see that there's a good couple of threads out of the nut so I reckon the taper's ok, just wanted another opinion.

My install looks identical to yours with an original power pitman arm and Tom's kit. I have driven it on the street the last 2 years with no problems.

The only thing that I might look at adjusting in the future is the pivot point for the pitman/relay rod does not line up with the idler arm/relay rod pivot with the Jeep box. So the relay rod is slightly angled now; I have not noticed an adverse effect in street usage only.

Phil

My install looks identical to yours with an original power pitman arm and Tom's kit. I have driven it on the street the last 2 years with no problems.

The only thing that I might look at adjusting in the future is the pivot point for the pitman/relay rod does not line up with the idler arm/relay rod pivot with the Jeep box. So the relay rod is slightly angled now; I have not noticed an adverse effect in street usage only.

Phil
Thanks Phil. I just heard back from Tom too and he said the same.

Still going to be a while before I fire mine up but I'm certainly looking forward to feeling what the steering's like. Did you ever think it was too light or was it basically like any new car today?

The steering feel is a big improvement in my opinion and close to a newer factory vehicle. Its never been a big issue, but at higher RPMs it tends to feel a little 'disconnected' from the road. I think this probably has more to do with the TC pump I use and the steering box not matched to work together at all speeds. My understanding is that adjusting pump flow rate is more of a band aid and not the real solution. One project if I can get to it will be to send the pump and box to Lee Power Steering and have them make the adjustments to work together throughout the whole RPM band.

Phil

I don't know if it's correct or not, but someplace I heard that if you swap the pressure relief valve to one from a Camaro it puts the feel back. No idea if that's correct or a bunch of HS. I'm just passing the info as I recall it, it may or may not be right..

I'll wait until I can drive mine before I decide to make any changes. I've heard some people say the road feel is fine, others say it's a bit light.

Apart from actually putting fluid in the system, my Jeep box install is all done! Also finished my hydroboost install - well, will be bleeding the brakes tomorrow...

I'll wait until I can drive mine before I decide to make any changes. I've heard some people say the road feel is fine, others say it's a bit light.

Apart from actually putting fluid in the system, my Jeep box install is all done! Also finished my hydroboost install - well, will be bleeding the brakes tomorrow...

Hey man, note that the hydraulic fluid in the HB/steering takes a day to loose the bubbles outta the reservoir...so when it makes noise and the brakes are not all they should be, and the steering is mushy....just make sure you go from side to side on the steering....several times, slowly, and then park it overnight....in morning, all the bubbles are outta the system upon startup...enough that they not an issue then.....

when you get up and going, with your final version of the car....I would love to hear your driving impressions, vs the realtively stock machine....

but to include tires/rims/brakes/suspension/ other changes....

:D

Hey man, note that the hydraulic fluid in the HB/steering takes a day to loose the bubbles outta the reservoir...so when it makes noise and the brakes are not all they should be, and the steering is mushy....just make sure you go from side to side on the steering....several times, slowly, and then park it overnight....in morning, all the bubbles are outta the system upon startup...enough that they not an issue then.....
I can't remember exactly now, but Tom included that sort of stuff in his install instructions - jack the front end up, turn the wheel from side to side etc...

when you get up and going, with your final version of the car....I would love to hear your driving impressions, vs the realtively stock machine....
Mine will be relatively stock Gene. Rebuilt but stock front end/suspension, stock calipers (well, 'O' ring modded) stock discs etc...but to include tires/rims/brakes/suspension/ other changes....

:D

I went for the Jeep box as my original steering was horrible - I needed muscles in my shit to turn the wheel while stationary at idle and it was all over the road at speed. I went for the Hydroboost because the brakes frightened me after driving my '05 Dodge! Basically, I thought if I could improve the brakes, then why not.

Anyway, you'll know when I finally get it driving because I'll be like :yahoo:

Anyone who has the Jeep box installed have headers? How did things fit? If no problems, what brand? If problems, what brand?

I am running Dynomax ceramic and I am short of clearance on the rear mounting pad. I will not notch my frame.

Anyone solve the clearance problem?

Thanks,