Remote reservoir for steering and hydroboost.

BB72

This is question for you guys using hydroboost and a remote reservoir for steering. Is there a specific size or type of reservoir to be used for this application? I have the tubular March reservoir, it's about 2.5" in diameter and about 7" long, would that be enough?

Rob

Sounds not much different from my '87 vette remote res....and so I have a '88 serpentine drive setup.....all I did was T off the return line to combine the HB to the steering rack, and it's fine....been there for years now, street driven daily....

:beer:

Right now I'm using the stock pump with built in reservoir using hydraboost. Have been thinking about going with KRC pump and remote. KRC has an 8oz bolt on and 20oz remote. Think I'll go with the 20. Found them in the Day Motorsports catalog.

When you do the KRC pump = make sure you check the spec for the MAX RPM on the pump. (5000-ish I recall) :(
They have recently upsized the pulley so you don't overspeed it with the crank. I'm in that maneuver right now - and waiting on shipment of the larger pulley (serpentine). Was planning on just the bolt on reservoir for my HB. Like the idea of the extra tank though. Non-vented caps I suspect?

Cheers - Jim

With a KRC pump you will need at least a full flow -10 AN connection to the pump!!!!

The iron pumps have a much lower max pump speed than the aluminum ones. It's 5500 for the iron pumps and 9000 for the aluminum one.

Their pumps are also not meant for use with stock or stock style pulleys, it's all designed to work with their small pulley systems. Giving the option for a larger pulley..they probably caved under the requests for one. What is the new pump pulley OD???

TT - the new pulley is 6 inches and splined for the iron pump.
Not shipping until the 26th of June.
I'm ordering next week. It will save me a whole heap of money in not going the Mandrell Route (which would have been cool in its own way) to get a pulley downsized on the crank that is downsized for the PS Pump.

Last edited:
Xander has the entire KRC setup on his car, works like a champ. Only had to use a small alt. pulley

He has a complete kit w/ a mini denso alternator, the alt pulley on the krc setup is quite large, a small CV Products one made an easy fix. It uses an aluminum p.st. pump. I have the alu pump on all my modded cars. Best pumps ever, especially with the flow valves to tweak it to how you want it.

Are the folks using KRC going with head or lower engine mount?

You can do either with the PS pump. ALso I think they have the lower driver side mount for a Denso alt.

BTW - I may have a "Spare," unused - dry fit-only, head mount for the KRC pump I can "flog." Let me know if interested -- PM is fine. It will be "excess to my requirements" - so I can beat Jegs - or Summit. Heck - you could help me pay for my new pulley!

Cheers - Jim

Last edited: