1976 Drag car

Bullshark

Ok, need your guys help assessing this 1976 Drag car. A friend of mine, who happens to be the body shop guy that has painted all my cars, recently picked this up in a "fire sale". Not really a fire as in flames, but he got it for a song and now wants to sell it. Now that I'm retired, I might want to start a new project, but I'm not sure what I would be getting into. He says he will be putting it up for sale on the web soon at ~$12k. He has a clear title. The engine that was in the car was a blown small block, but does not come with the car. I think he would sell it to me for $8k if I catch him on a good day:wink: Question is do I want it :suicide:
I would like your guys input, good and bad. What do you think? What can you tell me about the car from these pics.
Thanks
Bullshark
174fd9189a81dad.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189aaf04e.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189ad70e7.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189b06cdf.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189b2e5a8.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189a3bd0b.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189a5ef17.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189b500ff.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd918c1e3489.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd918c2157c3.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd918c23a959.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd91899e0958.jpg
[/IMG]
174fd9189a17a7c.jpg
[/IMG]

one thing I notice on the first glance: there are no cheap parts, the previous owner dumped money on some high dollar and high quality parts like AutoMeter gauges, Dean's sidepipe shields, solid rear axle with coilovers.... paintjob cost a few bux too..... now if the frame is solid I'd say if you can get it for $8000 take it......
all that said, I am not a drag car guy ... :lol:

Yeh, I have my eye on those side-pipe covers for my blue 69. even if I don't buy the car. :lol:

Frame is solid, but appears to be stock looking at the front end. I haven't been under the car except to kneel down and take the pics. So, that rear end is a solid axle? Dep will like that. haha. I wasn't sure! I know it was tubbed?? in the rear, because the area behind the seats is very small now. Looks to have a sturdy roll bar setup.

Tell me what to take a closer look at and I will take more pics

Last edited:
it's an all aftermarket rear axle and suspension, others have to chime in on the axle : not sure if this is a Ford 9" but it's probably the best you can use so I'm guessing it is one....

this is going to be a nice toy although (again) I'm not a drag guy and I don't like holes in the hood with stuff sticking out :lol:

but yes, it looks like the previous owner didn't cut corners, noticed the aftermarket brakes ??

Bullshark -
The workmanship looks good, quality parts (I have those Aerospace Calipers too- not cheap), if the cage meets spec (I'd want to worry that), whats the big deal? You've got a tranny in place, the rear end is a drag setup, and you've a motor picked out - seems like a quick project.

You'll be at the drags by the 4th of JULY! Happy Independence Day - I'd say.

Cheers Jim

it's an all aftermarket rear axle and suspension, others have to chime in on the axle : not sure if this is a Ford 9" but it's probably the best you can use so I'm guessing it is one....

this is going to be a nice toy although (again) I'm not a drag guy and I don't like holes in the hood with stuff sticking out :lol:

but yes, it looks like the previous owner didn't cut corners, noticed the aftermarket brakes ??

Can't be a 9 inch, looks more like a dana70

That's a dana 60

Has aerospace components lightweight front brakes too, strange rear coil overs from the looks of it. Nice setup for sure! You will not break that axle easily.

A built TH400 with an ultrabell and set up for mid plate. Has a scatter shield (red) on it too.

Rear end is set up wiyh a nice wishbone track locator.
Driveshaft looks like a Dennys, I think I see the yellow Dennys sticker on it??

Keep taking those pics and he'll know your interested! Now it's gonna be 10K!
I say - snap it up. (I like spending other people's money!)
Jim

Looks like a professional back half using round tube. You want something safe, and if it's mild steel there are probably no cracks. Some of the backyard built stuff I looked over the years at is scary. Costs add up fast though, chutes, safety gear, etc.

Looks like a great project for 8-10K

Here's a link to a page where a guy tells you how to identify the 9" ford rear end. The easy way is that the carrier is removable from the pinion side.. Which is different than most popular axle swaps I can think of right now.

http://kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

That's a cool car.. even with the flames. I think you'd have a tough time building a similar copy for that money.

I would buy it if you could get it for 8k. Even if you don't do a thing with it you could part it out for easily that if not more.