putting a 350 together, all views welcome.

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
I have a 1996 marine 350 block # 14093638, it has a roller rumpy cam, numbers forth coming, roller hyd lifters, deep dish pistons, standard factory heads, Very clean block.
I have a set of Vortec heads, vortec intake I want to put on it.

Stupid part, with the Vortec heads an intake and 750 edelbrock carb, will I have a pretty fair engine?

This is a starting point, funding at the moment reduced, must work with in my means for a couple months.

Not enough info, need deck height, piston dish cc, stock and vortech head cc, cam specs..... when you say rumpy cam: dish pistons usually mean low compression, doesn't really work well with a hot cam that bleeds off additional compression.... engine was maybe setup for a supercharger ????

A 750cfm carb is a lil big for a 350, I'd be willing to take it off your hands and trade for my 600cfm Edelbrock .... :rain: :mime::bounce:

This engine was stock, heads were 1.94's I think , cam was a stock roller.. stock roller lifters, I have the rumpy cam to put in, Just might make that trade.

The vortech heads should be a nice improvement over stock heads - hard to say without knowing the specs (head cc of both and valve size)...

Get the cam specs, it's really easy to overcam a engine....

About the trade: I bought this 600cfm Edelbrock for my 350, then installed a stroker 383... the carb is perfect IMO for the 350, great throttle response and it ran right out of the box... the 750 would be suited better for my 383 so if you're serious about trading it'll be a win win for both of us. How old is the 750 ? My 600 is 3 years but less than 1000 miles old.... practically brandnew....

I have a 1996 marine 350 block # 14093638,

OK,I can't resist any longer :nuts: what pitch prop are you going to use with that motor :tomato:

OK got it out,i feel better now :bounce:

Other than that i have no real advice to give you,that would be worth a plug nickle :goodnight:

OK, OJ, OK, I was not looking for over kill! I know the pervailing winds blow from west to east. Seeing that is factored, at Palm Desert there are plenty of wind generators to steal a prop from. I was thinking more on having a methane burner, so in saying ( I too can't pass this up) ""will you supply the MO mule shit to power it?

OK, OJ, OK, I was not looking for over kill! I know the pervailing winds blow from west to east. Seeing that is factored, at Palm Desert there are plenty of wind generators to steal a prop from. I was thinking more on having a methane burner, so in saying ( I too can't pass this up) ""will you supply the MO mule shit to power it?

Did you get the cam specs for the cam you are thinking of putting in?:cool:

Hey Rich,you are in luck.The farmer up the road has a couple dozen of those critters :nuts: maybe we can get some shipped that way :banghead:

All kidding aside,where are the cam specs???????

Vortech heads and a marine cam? Good Lord Rich, say it ain't so.:banghead:

OK,OK,..I got the message!! I shit canned the whole Idea!! I didn't play into some one trying to unload their shit on me! I must have been passing a beer fart!!

:eek::censored:

I shit canned the whole Idea!!

:eek::censored:

why ?

A stock '96 roller cam block is not all that bad... if the Vortech heads have smaller combustion chambers and raise your CR a little this might be a nice engine.. you just have to know the specs for the heads and the cam, might have to measure piston dish cc if you don't know .... without knowing the specs of the components it is impossible to say if it's a good idea or not.

Personally I think any spare parts/engines are good.

Vortec heads and a good cam WILL provide 400 horses if you know your numbers.

There is one sitting in our shop right now, vortec heads 1.6:1 rockers, the cam numbers listed on the year one website under 400 horse 350 crate engine, and a dual plane intake.