Welder Power Dilema

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I just bought a Lincoln ProMIG 175. This is a 220v welder.

Here is the problem. The elecrical cord on the welder is about 6 ft long. I could run it on my dryer outlet (which is a 50 amp breaker) with about a 25 ft extension cord. I don't even know if such things are made. Or, I could have an outlet added to the box that is located in the garage.

I got a quote to add the outlet in the garage and it was $250 minimum. I'm thinking the extension cord (if available) will work and be less expensive.

Any performance issues with doing this? I should mention, the manual states that the input current is 20 amps. Also, the electrical panel is about 15 feet from the dryer plug so, all together I will have short of 50 ft of wire from the panel to the welder.

Also, I know I could add a outlet myself but I have zero experience with doing that. Sounds dangerous :shocking:

I cheated. Since my bride wanted a gas range instead of electric, I pulled the power feed back into the basement and put an outlet on the end of it, and then built a 50' extension cord for the welder. I used the mate to the plug that was already on the welder so I didn't have to swap that. I also built a short jumper cord so I can plug the plasma cutter (120v) into that same extension cord. Way better than having to run another feed. I think I used 10/4 wire for it all.

You can get an extension cord to run from your dryer outlet- I priced them and it was cheaper to just build one from parts at the time.

There are probably 900 reasons why my system is not really good, but it works for me.

I ran my welder off the dryer socket for about a year when we were renting a house between sales. I made a 25 or 30' foot extension. I'm sure it would upset some people's sensibilities, but it worked fine. Just do the math on the current usage and the resulting voltage drop and you should be fine.

If you have 2 different 120 volt outlets on different legs of the panel, you could build a custom cable for your welder and not have to take the dryer out of service. You might pop the circuit breaker under heavy welding since wall outlets are normally limited to 15a breakers, but runs with #12 have 20a breakers which should do it depending on how the circuit is loaded with other things.

On my Square-D panel breakers on the left are on one leg and breakers on the right are the other.

Bird is probably going to chastize me for suggesting this.

Last edited:
I rather doubt your dryer takes more than 30 amps.....
mine was/is hooked to a 30 amp fuse, and I have a jumper off my drier outlet for the air compressor.....both run at same time, and still happy at main breaker....I used 10-2 wire....easy run....maybe same 15' you talking of....

now because you have a 50 amp brkr there, you will need 6 ga wire....I"m not sure if that drier outlet box has enough room inside to take that size wire along with what It has already....if not, have to set another large box with steel cover plate, and tie them together in there, making a junction box...

It really is fairly simple, another trick you can do....go to Harbor Freight, they have a good selection of heavy extension cords, you can always install the ends you need, IF you can't find one already made up....

:eek:

If you have 2 different 120 volt outlets on different legs of the panel, you could build a custom cable for your welder and not have to take the dryer out of service. You might pop the circuit breaker under heavy welding since wall outlets are normally limited to 15a breakers, but runs with #12 have 20a breakers which should do it depending on how the circuit is loaded with other things.

On my Square-D panel breakers on the left are on one leg and breakers on the right are the other.

Bird is probably going to chastize me for suggesting this.

We use these in the trade show business. The "combiner" slang term is octopus. :rofl:

I just bought a Lincoln ProMIG 175. This is a 220v welder.

Here is the problem. The elecrical cord on the welder is about 6 ft long. I could run it on my dryer outlet (which is a 50 amp breaker) with about a 25 ft extension cord. I don't even know if such things are made. Or, I could have an outlet added to the box that is located in the garage.

I got a quote to add the outlet in the garage and it was $250 minimum. I'm thinking the extension cord (if available) will work and be less expensive.

Any performance issues with doing this? I should mention, the manual states that the input current is 20 amps. Also, the electrical panel is about 15 feet from the dryer plug so, all together I will have short of 50 ft of wire from the panel to the welder.

Also, I know I could add a outlet myself but I have zero experience with doing that. Sounds dangerous :shocking:

Larry, look on the data plate, or in the book, and see if anything says "Maximum amperage overcurrent device", then post again.

Based on the 20 ampere power requirement, and the intermittent load nature of a welder, this is what I would do.
Install a 30amp dryer plug in my garage.
This is what you could do.
Go to Home Dump or BLowes
Obtain 30' of 10/3 SO cord. A cord "cap" to fit your outlet, and a cord "body" to fit the welder. (Look carefully, a NEMA designation number will be on their face).
Make up a cord using the white wire as a hot. Green is ground.
Protect the cord by changing the range recptacle 50 amp, 2 pole circuit breaker to a 30 amp, 2 pole circuit breaker. Turn off the main while doing this.
Done deal.

I'm running my compressor off the dryer outlet, the 30ft extension wasn't all that expensive but the plug is like $15 or so.... works fine for me, just don't run dryer and welder at the same time ...
That Lincoln is a great welder, wish I'd bought it instead of the smaller 110V unit....

Lincoln recommends a 50A cord NEMA Type 6-50P for that welder even though the draw is only 20 amps.

You may consider what I did at home. I ran a 50A circuit to the front of the garage beside the big door and just came down the wall beside the track with conduit and a surface box with a common stove 50A receptacle. Because of the short leads for a mig you can always use an ext cord, but there have been quite a few times that I have had to weld out in the driveway and that made it pretty quick and easy. Amazing how many friends will need something welded that you don't want in the garage.

If you can do a C3, a circuit should be no big deal.

Here's the instructions for the electricians.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/LINCOLN3/IM810.pdf

Lincoln recommends a 50A cord NEMA Type 6-50P for that welder even though the draw is only 20 amps.

You may consider what I did at home. I ran a 50A circuit to the front of the garage beside the big door and just came down the wall beside the track with conduit and a surface box with a common stove 50A receptacle. Because of the short leads for a mig you can always use an ext cord, but there have been quite a few times that I have had to weld out in the driveway and that made it pretty quick and easy. Amazing how many friends will need something welded that you don't want in the garage.

If you can do a C3, a circuit should be no big deal.

Here's the instructions for the electricians.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/LINCOLN3/IM810.pdf

Easier yet, but a tad more spendy. Keep the 50 amp breaker, just use 3 conductor #8 SO cord instead. About $4 a foot.
Keep in mind, they are basing this on continuous use at 100% output.:smash:

Well it looks like I will wire an outlet into the box. A friend gave me a 10 ft extension made by Lincoln. Also, the great suggestion that I might end up out in the driveway welding makes me think this is the best solution.

Bought all the stuff this morning to wire the outlet. So, hopefully, will be learning how to weld here soon.

If your garage is as loaded as most, be careful with sparks, not just the flammables, but the stuff that will smolder for hours.
If welding at home, I almost always do it just out the front door.
You may want to wire up a smoke detector tied to one inside the house too.

If your garage is as loaded as most, be careful with sparks, not just the flammables, but the stuff that will smolder for hours.
If welding at home, I almost always do it just out the front door.
You may want to wire up a smoke detector tied to one inside the house too.

OH, hehehe.....I forgot about the extent my welder does go through for safety every time he strikes a spark.....

yeh man.....all of everything is outta there.....cars, cans, dust, you name it....

this much should be obvious, just to be sure.....

Another option is to buy a gasoline-powered generator that has the correct power you need. That may be what I end up doing if I ever get my garage built. :)