Clutch constantly going out of adjustment?

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
If you are using the bolt-on cross shaft frame bracket, better take a close look at it. Seems it's not uncommon for this thing to bend, and when it does your clutch will go out of adjustment. I just receoved a brand new one of these bolt-on brackets from Corvette Central and I can honestly say it is a POS. No knock on Corvette Central, it is probably identical to the factory one. It's just cheaply made out of what appears to be pot metal. If you are going to install a heavy duty pressure plate with a lot of pounds of pressure, this is NOT the part to use. That's probably why they are bending for some folks. The factory 80-82 pressure plate is probably as wussy-weak diaphram unit. This bracket is NOT made to take heavy duty pressure plates.

So what is the solution? There is a guy on the Corvette Forum that goes by the name of V8Ranger that will make a HEAVY DUTY version of the bolt-on unit. You can either bolt it on or weld and bolt it or just weld it. Any whay you pick, it will NEVER bend. If you do weld it in, you will have to open the hole up into a slot to permit removal of the z-bar. Price is $50 plus $6.50 for shipping. It may sound like a lot, but it's a hand-made piece and will NOT bend or flex EVER. Here are so me pics:

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

Z-Barframemount.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

BTW...I make nothing on this part. Just posting for anyone that is interested. ;)

Here's the link with more pics and testimonials:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/2954047-fixed-my-clutch-linkage-problem.html