Cross Shaft Frame Bracket

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
Got a parts delivery today and one of the items I ordered was a Cross Shaft Frame Bracket. This is the bracket that bolts (or welds, depending on the style you buy) to the frame. Since my car was originally an auto, I needed one of these for the conversion to stick.

What I was wondering was where EXACTLY does this gizmo get welded/bolted to the frame? I assume it is where the frame curves towards the back of the car. Looking at that area, there is a horizontal oval hole on the side of the frame. There is also a horizontal oval hole on the bracket. I was wondering if these holes are supposed to line up? Here is a pic of the bracket:

CL-205.JPG

Has anyone ever mounted one of these things or do you have a good picture of where it should be located? Any help would be appreciated.

Dep

Last edited:
I'm traveling so no pics. I just mocked mine up with the shaft and welded to the frame. Pain to get to but it can be done. Be carefully if you have the fuel evaporative canister located in the fender well where you are welding

I'm traveling so no pics. I just mocked mine up with the shaft and welded to the frame. Pain to get to but it can be done. Be carefully if you have the fuel evaporative canister located in the fender well where you are welding

Thanks Dave. I just found out the one I have is the weld-on version. Had to order the bolt on one from Corvette Central. Did you mock yours up with the engine in the car or just with the cross shaft making it look level? No engine in my car right now. No worries with evaporative canister. I ripped that out a long time ago. :)

A guy posted a pic at CF and it looks like the bracket goes on TOP of the frame and not along the side like I thought.

Last edited:
Here's the pic the guy posted on CF. But I can't get a fix on where exactly it is located:

IMG_1792.jpg

Dep, I'm thinking to get it right, 90* to the stud on the block, and set so the length of the shaft comes out correct, you're about going to have to at least set the block on the motor mounts, set the shaft in place and do some marking. Unless someone has some measurements that you can trust 100% it'll be a shot in the dark getting it right.
You'll have front and back AND distance from the block to deal with.

I've got the front clip off, took pictures of the bracket tonight, but too late to upload, will do tomorrow.
If you need a measure, let me know.

I welded mine after the crosshaft was in place and aligned. It was very tight, not much room in there , can't believe bolting it in place is easier. If it was me, I'd keep the weld on version and get everything in place, then get someone who can weld to weld it in place for you. You have the eggcrate fender louvers right ?? You can access the area thru the louver opening in the fender.
The tab sits on top of the frame, pretty much under the master cylinder, measuring the position won't be 100% accurate, mock it up.

I guess I will have to have the block in to get this thing installed. DRAT! :( It's so nice and roomy in there right now I can climb in and get at everything.
But I don't want to take a chance on installing it crooked so I will do as you guys suggest.
The bolt in version is easier because it can be located, the holes marked, and then drill the frame. A couple of self-tapping bolts and it's in.

Here's a pic:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...3HQ1BYHGR97123141314a~Z5Z5Z5YES~Z5Z5Z50000050

I really doubt that you have room to get a drill in there... I can take a photo tonight ... Now the good thing is that if you cannot drill holes you can weld both versions of this tab...

Dep, These pix are not the greatest but should get the job done. The vertical peice is centered on the big hole that is in the center of the steering box mounts. I measured 5 3/4 from the center of that hole to the slot in the bracket. The other picture showes the ruler clamped onto the bracket and, if you measure from the frame surface (where the big hole is) to the edge of the ruler, you get 1 1/2 inches.

44fa14da72846c.jpg

44fa14da691c6f.jpg

Dep, These pix are not the greatest but should get the job done. The vertical peice is centered on the big hole that is in the center of the steering box mounts. I measured 5 3/4 from the center of that hole to the slot in the bracket. The other picture showes the ruler clamped onto the bracket and, if you measure from the frame surface (where the big hole is) to the edge of the ruler, you get 1 1/2 inches.

WOW!!! Outstanding!!! :clap: I owe you BB. :thumbs:

On a side note...I have a bare 350 block. I can temporarily drop that in the car and that should also help with getting the location exact. I assume the motor mounts are identical for BB and SB, so the location of the clutch shaft boss should be in the same place. I have the side louvers already removed on that side (I did that when I ripped out the evaporative cansiter crap). I THINK I can get a drill in there. For sure I can get a welder in there.

Now for the big question....I live in the middle of nowhere. Getting the car to someone who can weld would be impossible, and I'm not even sure there is anyone in my town that CAN weld. Or that I would trust to do the job. Soooooo...here are some new questions...

What kind of welding gear can be used to weld the bracket on? I assume an oxy-acetylene welder can be used. But that is a skill I don't have, nor is it something I want to invest in. What about a MIG welder? Can it be used? I was looking at this one:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I did some searching and it doesn't look too difficult to operate. Of course, being a fan of Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, adding a new tool to my collection is a desireable thing :D

A $100 flux core welder will be sufficient to get this done. Practice on some scrap metal and then you'll be ok to weld this tab in place.... will be better than the self tapping screws you mentioned..... :clap:

If you want to spend the money, the Lincoln weld pak 3200 is often on sale, it's the biggest 110V welder they have - I bought mine for $350 if I remember correctly.... it takes flux core wire as well as regulare wire and a 25/75 Argon CO2 mix gas bottle - pure Argon is way too expensive.

Way better welds with gas but the flux core will definitely be "good enough" ... you can always hit the welds with a grinder to clean them up.... paint will hide the rest....

:1st::clap:

A $100 flux core welder will be sufficient to get this done. Practice on some scrap metal and then you'll be ok to weld this tab in place.... will be better than the self tapping screws you mentioned..... :clap:

If you want to spend the money, the Lincoln weld pak 3200 is often on sale, it's the biggest 110V welder they have - I bought mine for $350 if I remember correctly.... it takes flux core wire as well as regulare wire and a 25/75 Argon CO2 mix gas bottle - pure Argon is way too expensive.

Way better welds with gas but the flux core will definitely be "good enough" ... you can always hit the welds with a grinder to clean them up.... paint will hide the rest....

:1st::clap:

Excellent. That will be my plan. I will keep an eye out for the Lincoln welder.

There has got to be some oilfield hands out there with a portable welder that would weld it for $20 and some beer.

And the other question- YES the SBC and BBC mounts and location for the cross shaft are identical.

There has got to be some oilfield hands out there with a portable welder that would weld it for $20 and some beer.

And the other question- YES the SBC and BBC mounts and location for the cross shaft are identical.

Those guys are all up North. :D

I need a welder anyway so this is a good excuse to buy one. The wife wouldn't go for "I just need one". ;)

Those guys are all up North. :D

I need a welder anyway so this is a good excuse to buy one. The wife wouldn't go for "I just need one". ;)

:kissass: Panty waste.....:p:shocking::drink: