Two unavailable gaskets

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
There are two gaskets or rubber seals, not sure which, shown between the master cylinder and power brake booster in the Assembly Manual for 1968-76 cars. I have also see these two items displayed in some of the Vette parts catalogs. But they don't seem to be available for purchase. Anyone know what these two seals are for and are they necessary? :confused:

Here's a pic of what I'm taking about:

50044.gif

Last edited:
There are two gaskets or rubber seals, not sure which, shown between the master cylinder and power brake booster in the Assembly Manual for 1968-76 cars. I have also see these two items displayed in some of the Vette parts catalogs. But they don't seem to be available for purchase. Anyone know what these two seals are for and are they necessary? :confused:

Here's a pic of what I'm taking about:

There is the rod seal that you absolutely need to keep vacuum in the booster.
Used to be able to get them with the Bendix booster rebuild kit, but those aren't generally available now, only with a replacement booster.
Supposedly, Booster Dewey will mail you one for cash.
No other gasket need be there, in fact the bottom of the master cyl flange should have a weep hole or slot for leaking fluid, so it can't enter the booster.
A headsup if your master has leaked.
The fluid will drip down unto the bottom of the steering column creating a lot of rust and causing you to cut off the lower bearing etc and replacing it. Crazy prices for a 3 dollar bearing and retainer. Clean up any fluid and oil the bottom of the column.

BoosterMCSeal1.jpg

The other gasket between the firewall and the booster, I never worry about because the flange of the booster air filter boot gets sandwiched between the booster and the firewall creating a good seal.

DSC02433.jpg

I bought the rubber seal from the link above. The other part is a metal retainer with a tab that is used to hold the rubber seal in place. I can use Permatex to hold the seal in place as I don't think the metal tab is available any more.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the seal that goes between the master and the booster? It's a press fit in the booster. I bought that one from a brake rebuilder

Are you talking about the seal that goes between the master and the booster? It's a press fit in the booster. I bought that one from a brake rebuilder

Yes. The rubber seal goes on the master and then a metal reatiner is used over it. See the picture in my first post. The metal retainer is what isn't available. I assume that is what retained the rubber seal to the master.

Yes. The rubber seal goes on the master and then a metal reatiner is used over it. See the picture in my first post. The metal retainer is what isn't available. I assume that is what retained the rubber seal to the master.

I got a retainer and seal as a unit for my 73 from my brake rebuilder

I'm late to this party ... I don't peruse the chat rooms frequently. Best use email.

That seal is a thick flat stiff rubber piece - not at all like the photo on Davies web site - although that may work - it's not really close. It's looks like a standard o-ring in their photo.

I sold both my last GM seal & retainer - they're are probably still photos on my web store of both with OEM GM part numbers. Truthfully I haven't made introduced any new repro parts in years & that's why I sold them.

I still love my Vettes, but this business has become a cut throat of the cheapest shit that can be imported from China. The biggest phonies now don't even tell you before you purchase that its cheap crap. How do you like those PW switches? headlamp switches? climate vacuum switches? relay valves?

Many of the customers are not my cup of tea either. They ask you to do something that you publish is not done - then sulk when you politely tell them no. Another whined how he was inept at a computer, so I emailed an extensive description of the parts, provided the part numbers & where to look at them & how to order - but apparently did not spoon feed him enough, so he just wasted my time. Recently shipped to a third fellow in the Belgium the only 1980 smog accordion hose we had via US mail. He would not await the Post Offices required time for arrival & demanded a refund. We refunded. I don't need the BS. Frankly I've always been frugal & saved, and if an earthquake demolished my warehouse tomorrow, I'd not shed a tear.

PS the first two examples are members here. I laugh every time one reports how a part from the Zit Corvettes that doesn't quite fit & he eats the line of BS they feed him on how they shipped the wrong part. We make parts; we don't make excuses.

PSS You can punch these # into the search box on my net store to see them: 730392 seal, 9787620 retainer - as I said I have no more. Without these - the vacuum from the booster sucks the brake fluid past the master cylinder seals, into the booster where some goes to the engine & some corrodes the metal parts inside the booster.

Last edited:
Correcting my error:

John:

I apologize as I do not see all orders that arrive, nor connect real & screen names. After your original contact, I thought there would be a followup acknowledgement. Instead I will apologize again & thank you for the order. My error & I do sincerely apologize for my sarcasm about your computer skills after you pup died. My dog is more important to me than a barn full of Corvettes as I realize they are with most folk.
Geoff Coenen