So how much Tqe can it take

SmokinBBC

My BB engine produces about flywheel 532/463 tqe/hp. I have plenty of room to grow on Tqe/HP with heads/manifold/headers.

I was wondering how close to the edge I am of what the stock M20 and diff can handle. The diff is 3:36 with a GTR tuned posi. I have the stock drive/half shafts. Tires are 235/60/15 BFG TA's...but assume 255's in the rear if that makes much of a difference.

So what do you think....do I have room to grow with this setup?

In previous discussions, I have been told with this combo, I am right at the edge for "spirited" driving(no dropping of the clutch at high rpms). Of course if I drive like an old lady on Sunday, there would be no problems. There really isn't any hard factual info that I can find or anybody has offered.

So what do you think....how much further can I go with this driveline setup? What is your experience?

Last edited:
My BB engine produces about flywheel 532/463 tqe/hp. I have plenty of room to grow on Tqe/HP with heads/manifold/headers.

I was wondering how close to the edge I am of what the stock M20 and diff can handle. The diff is 3:36 with a GTR tuned posi. I have the stock drive/half shafts. Tires are 235/60/15 BFG TA's...but assume 255's in the rear if that makes much of a difference.

So what do you think....do I have room to grow with this setup?

In previous discussions, I have been told with this combo, I am right at the edge for "spirited" driving(no dropping of the clutch at high rpms). Of course if I drive like an old lady on Sunday, there would be no problems. There really isn't any hard factual info that I can find or anybody has offered.

So what do you think....how much further can I go with this driveline setup? What is your experience?

I bought my 1979 new and as power went up I improved what failed.

I've only had to be trailered home a few times from major breaks.

It has been my experience.............. That i just improve as I go. Like the rear end went. Well it was caused by slicks and drag racing. Then you buy better. Then .................blah blah breaks or makes noise. Just keep upgrading.

Then at some power level or driving type you have to thing about the what if's Do you have Z rated tires and safety hoops on your drive line and half shafts

I've got 285/40x17.s with right at 11" of rubber on the ground- and 4:11's. It'll break them loose in a flash, thankfully. I don't even begin to think that the all stock differential and shafts will take it.

I agree with George-- if something breaks, that was the weakest link- fix that and then find the next one.