Seating new rad and transmission cooler line ?s

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
A couple of odd questions for a Friday.

I have a new rad and new rubber mounts. Everything seems to fit ok but a can seem to get it seated enough to put the top brakets in place. Any tricks on seating it? A little silicone grease in the mounts perhaps?

Also, I mounted the new transmission cooler on the A/C condensor. I got some nice tubing so I wouldn't have to run long, rubber hoses from the old metal lines; just short connector hoses. How do you form the "ridge" in the metal tubing to give a more positive hold for the hose and hose clamps?

The ridge or bulge in tubes is a tough one. The make a beading tool that works great, but it ain't cheap. I've used a flaring tool and opened the end of the tube just a little bit and then double clamped with good clamps. There are also some fittings that are designed with a couple of beads just for rubber hoses. Parts store should have them- Home Depot and Lowe's too. Make sure you use hose that's spec'd for trans cooler line too.

Not sure about the radiator. Maybe some slickum on the mounts. Make sure they seat on the radiator. Don't forget to seal the radiator to the core support too..

:hi:

Thanks Tim. I'll have a look for the beads. I thought to use the rings for compression fittings with a dab if solder which would have been similar, but if I can find these beads, it would be a little less of a chore.

Still sratching my head over the rad. Could simply be manufacturing veriation of the three components at their upper limits. All the parts seem to fit, but not quite.

I have to change my master cylinder now anyways so I've got a little time to work this out.

Mike, is it the rubber cushions that go into the mounting brackets what's giving you a problem? When I replaced my radiator with a new 3 row unit the cutouts in the both the upper and lower cushions were not wide enough for them to fit around the radiator and I couldn't get the top brackets on. The cushions with wider cutouts as it turned out were discontinued so I had to widen the ones i had myself by trimming them to fit with a razor blade.

It's definately the cushions that are giving me problems. Believe it or not, I coated them with petroleum jelly and made some ground. The fit still isn't right, but at least I'm able to get the top retainers in place.

Petroleum Jelly will deteriorate those rubber bushings, they will become rock hard over time. Use something else.

KY jelly should work fine.....

:trumpet::lol::D

Gene,

I've got young kids, so lots of PJ around and no use for KY.

How about silicone greese? Any easier on rubber parts? It's standard practice on rubber seals in SCUBA componenets but these are also supposed to be replaced annually.