Moroso Offset Dowels For Bellhousing Alignment

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
What is the purpose of the set screw for these bellhousing alignment pins? The instructions say "Drill and tap 8-32 hole on center of the dowel hole .400" below the block bell housing face". That does not tell me much

mor-37934_w.jpg

The set screws are supposed to keep the offset dowels from turning.
I've never bothered with the set screws, those pins are never going to turn once in.

Yes, however these suckers can be hard to turn when installed. Dress them down and drill and tap for the set screw. You will have a much easier time dialing in the bh

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

How does drilling and tapping a hole in the dowel hole recess (for the set screw), lock the pins in place?

The instructions say "Drill and tap 8-32 hole on center of the dowel hole .400" below the block bell housing face"

Now I get it. They are talking about drilling the hole radially, not axial.

Update: I tried the Moroso pins. They suck. The problem is, you are trying to adjust two eccentric pins that are both in fixed positions. And, the part of the pin that goes in the block is a pretty tight fit (and steel on steel). They are a bitch to turn and you have to turn both at the same time.

So I made my own pins. With these pins you can dial in the runout perfectly and then install the pins, presto!. The brass pieces were pressed into the block flush with the face and the pins were made with a .350 center hole and a raised "V" on the end so that, when they were tightened down, they will bite into the brass bushing (1/4-28 bolt).

44f50f618af6db.jpg

44f50f61865374.jpg

44f50f61805020.jpg

I dunno Larry. Instead of a pin, you have the purchase on the brass face doing all the work.

I dunno Larry. Instead of a pin, you have the purchase on the brass face doing all the work.

The V groove is imbedded in the brass. They are not going anywhere. There is no force on the pins anyway, they only guide the bellhousing on and the bolts hold it in place.

The V groove is imbedded in the brass. They are not going anywhere. There is no force on the pins anyway, they only guide the bellhousing on and the bolts hold it in place.

The bolts provide the clamping force, and the friction of the flange holds it in place. UP, to "X" torque. When that is overcome, the pins hold it.
How much is "X.?" Dunno.

The bolts provide the clamping force, and the friction of the flange holds it in place. UP, to "X" torque. When that is overcome, the pins hold it.
How much is "X.?" Dunno.

There is no/very small rotational force tranferred (by the engine) to the transmission case. So there is very little torque on those bellhousing bolts or pins.

:hissyfit:OK, but I have a dumb question here,....yes the bell housing is maybe a little off center, but when the tranny is mounted to the b/h there is that input shaft already into the crank bearing....locating it good, then tighten the tranny bolts to the bell housing....

where is the problem?? those last 4 bolts have plenty of slop in the clearances....

NO?? :huh:

the trans is centered by the inside diameter of the hole, the trans sits inside this hole with very tight clearance.

100_2082Small.jpg

How much is "X.?" Dunno.

There is no/very small rotational force tranferred (by the engine) to the transmission case. So there is very little torque on those bellhousing bolts or pins.

:huh:

For the maybe two times in my life where I mated up the stock Muncie to the stock bell housing, I never worried about offset dowels and nothing ever happened later that was a problem. Why is it when a different tranny is installed...a TKO here....that there becomes a bell housing transmission alignment problem? I just bought a TKO 600. To mount to my stock 68 bell housing, I need to do an alignment and buy offset pins?

For the maybe two times in my life where I mated up the stock Muncie to the stock bell housing, I never worried about offset dowels and nothing ever happened later that was a problem. Why is it when a different tranny is installed...a TKO here....that there becomes a bell housing transmission alignment problem? I just bought a TKO 600. To mount to my stock 68 bell housing, I need to do an alignment and buy offset pins? Obviously, I was just hoping to bolt the TKO to the bell housing and be done with it. I thought the stock bell housings were very accurately machined.

Mine was off .011 and the TKO is supposed to be .005 max. I bought some .007 offset pins but could not get it dialed in with them. The pins I made worked like a charm. I setup .001 runout in about 10 minutes. A buddy told me that Lakewood makes pins like the ones I made.